Hi Leonard Thanks for the tip. I am exporting via Emacs's batch mode so I wrote a short elisp function: (defun org-export-non-greedy-select-tags (lst) "Workaround to export a .org file with headlines that contain tags in `lst` AND headlines that have no tags" (let (all-buffer-tags) (setq all-buffer-tags (apply #'append (org-get-buffer-tags))) (dolist (tag lst) (delete tag all-buffer-tags) ) (setq org-export-exclude-tags all-buffer-tags) ) ) On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Leonard Avery Randall < leonard.a.randall@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Rehan, > > Rehan Iftikhar wrote: > > > I'd like to export a .org file which includes all headlines without > any tags AND headlines with selected tags. Headlines with tags which > do not match the specified list are skipped. > > > > I am not sure exactly how to elegantly do what you wish to do, but > if your tag list is not too extensive, you may be able to simply > exclude all the tags you don't want. If you do not currently have a > complete list of tags, you can get one by attempting to add a tag to > headline by calling C-q and then pressing tab. That should give you > a completions buffer with a list that includes all tags in the > current .org file. Then just add all the tags you don't want to > org-export exclude tags or to an #+EXCLUDE_TAGS line. > > It's not elegant but it should work. > > Hope this helps, > > All the best, > > Leonard > > > Rehan Iftikhar > May 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM > Hello > > I'd like to export a .org file which includes all headlines without any > tags AND headlines with selected tags. Headlines with tags which do not > match the specified list are skipped. > > My testing so far reveals that setting org-export-select-tags only selects > headlines which strictly match the specified tag list. I have tried > including nil, an empty string, and an empty string with a space in the > specified tag list without any luck. > > Does anyone know if this is currently possible? > > Thanks, > -Rehan > > -- -Rehan