From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Samuel Banya <sbanya@fastmail.com>,
	Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas? (ominbus reply)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:07:36 -0700	[thread overview]

undo [or equivalent] in buffer.  no saving to disk.

emacs auto save to an auto-expiring directory

emacs backups every save to an auto-expiring directory

git snapshots when i feel like it.  search as needed.

branching in the text itself, by use of comments above if it is
incoming/new and below if it is old/reference.

many use git branch but i wouldn't remember the branch was in git and
i don't want to have to rely on git for such things unless it disrupts
the text without it.  for me it is merely an archive.  it is not an
active repository of future possibilities and current ongoing
activities.  even with magit, git ui is complex to me. its storage
model is not merely an endofuctor of dags.

so i use only basic features when possible.  many years later i still
fear merges/rebases and even stashes and find the merge/rebase
presentation to be quite bizarre and can't believe anybody finds it
the most useful.  certain sequences of staging, unstaging, and
snaphotting can actually cause buffer corruption.  git notes feature
is another complexity which while small i'd rather have git recognize
all file permissions by default.

incidentally, rsync wrapper called rsnapshot works well.  i wouldn't
use it for branching.  you can use unix commands = win.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html