On Sunday, April 28, 2024, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > > Note: For the upgraded version to be loaded by emacs, you mush place > > `package-initialize` early in your init.el. Failure to do so will > > result in the old system version to be loaded, as can be seen: > > This is only true when running emacs -Q or emacs -q. > For normal emacs invocation, since Emacs 27, by default, Emacs calls > (package-initialize) automatically on startup. > > strangely in my 27, help on package-initialize does not say explicitly whether it is called automatically. it says "If ‘package-initialize’ is called twice during Emacs startup, signal a warning, since this is a bad idea except in highly advanced use cases. To suppress the warning, remove the superfluous call to ‘package-initialize’ from your init-file. If you have code which must run before ‘package-initialize’, put that code in the early init-file." i ran package-initialize in my .emacs and checked c-h e and did not find a warning. however, without running it, it still seems to have been run. -- The Kafka Pandemic A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy: https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com