* is speedup possible in the agenda?
@ 2013-04-03 18:14 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-03 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The agenda in general is slow for me, and follow mode especially; many
operations take several seconds.

This is just an indication as I have not tried with emacs -Q yet:

===
org-agenda-goto                                               23
   146.941348    6.3887542608
org-agenda-cycle-show                                         22
   141.035186    6.4106902727
org-agenda-show-1                                             22
   141.033537    6.4106153181
org-agenda-todo                                               3
   45.624037     15.208012333
org-agenda-switch-to                                          4
   29.725949     7.43148725
org-agenda-priority-up                                        3
   17.500432     5.8334773333
org-agenda-priority                                           3
   17.500319     5.8334396666
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  51
   7.8651430000  0.1542184901
org-agenda-next-line                                          32
   7.861315      0.2456660937
org-agenda-show                                               1
   6.097801      6.097801
===

Thanks.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is NO hope without action.  This means YOU.

* Re: is speedup possible in the agenda?
@ 2013-04-03 18:32 ` Tim Howe
From: Tim Howe @ 2013-04-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 3 Apr 2013, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just an indication as I have not tried with emacs -Q yet:

How are you getting those profiling results?

> ===
> org-agenda-goto                                               23
>    146.941348    6.3887542608
> org-agenda-cycle-show                                         22
>    141.035186    6.4106902727
[...]

--
Tim Howe
http://quadium.net/~vsync/

The lack of interest, the disdain for history is what makes computing
not-quite-a-field.  [...]  They have no idea where [their culture came
from] and the Internet was done so well that most people think of it
as a natural resource like the Pacific Ocean, rather than something
that was man-made.  When was the last time a technology with a scale
like that was so error-free?  The Web, in comparison, is a joke.  The
Web was done by amateurs.
        -- Alan Kay

* Re: is speedup possible in the agenda?
@ 2013-04-03 18:38 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-03 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> The agenda in general is slow for me, and follow mode especially; many
> operations take several seconds.
>
> This is just an indication as I have not tried with emacs -Q yet:

Just throwing this in case, to make sure you saw it already:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/agenda-optimization.html

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: is speedup possible in the agenda?
@ 2013-04-03 18:46   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-03 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/3/13, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Just throwing this in case, to make sure you saw it already:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/agenda-optimization.html

Hi Bastien,

Thanks, that is a great resource and I already did everything that it
suggested before posting.

@ 2013-04-03 18:50   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Howe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/3/13, Tim Howe <vsync@quadium.net> wrote:
> How are you getting those profiling results?

24.2.  I know 24.3 has a possibly better profiler.

Run agenda T.

(defun alpha-elp-instrument-packages ()
  "Instrument some likely packages."
  (interactive)
  ;;too slow:
  ;;  (elp-instrument-package "org")
  ;;(elp-instrument-list
  (loop for i in '("alpha-"
                   "hoka-"
                   "cl-"
                   "org-agenda-"
                   "org-babel-")
        do
        (message "instrumenting %s" i)
        (elp-instrument-package i))
  (message ""))

Then follow mode, then moving around, TAB, and a few occasional other
things like changing metadata.

@ 2013-04-03 19:14   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-04-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Howe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode