* using completion on header name to insert link
@ 2020-08-20  3:41 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-08-20  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i frequently use refile with ido to refile to and go to entries.

is there a command to use the same completion to insert a link at point?

for example, if i have an entry named pharmacy, and it has an org id,
i can refile to it or go to it using ido.

but can i be in an entry called whatever, and stay where i am, but
insert a link to pharmacy using the refile ido mechanism?

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: using completion on header name to insert link
@ 2020-08-22  4:57 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-08-22  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales writes:

> i frequently use refile with ido to refile to and go to entries.
>
> is there a command to use the same completion to insert a link at point?
>
> for example, if i have an entry named pharmacy, and it has an org id,
> i can refile to it or go to it using ido.
>
> but can i be in an entry called whatever, and stay where i am, but
> insert a link to pharmacy using the refile ido mechanism?

I'm not aware of built-in functionality to do this.  There was a recent
thread about this on the list:
https://orgmode.org/list/CAL9aZktdbZ2zd9ygS9uHeSJypdbR9E1A6Ef03UtDRAFpJOES9g@mail.gmail.com

* Re: using completion on header name to insert link
@ 2020-08-22  5:48   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-08-22  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

thank you.  i think the problem needs specifying better than i specified it.

basically, i use org-refile for refile and goto, and i just want
exactly the same thing for inserting links also.

this is close to that other thread, but i want to emphasize that the
goal is specifically to merely use the org-refile mechanism for
inserting links also.

[i guess the idea is that org-refile is in principle a generic
headline-filtering tool that is currently only used for refiling and
goto.  i want to have it do insert also.  perhaps the headline
filtering can be factored out as a generic tool and used to insert.
not sure.]

[more detail: i have various org-refile variables and a verify
function set to show me headers exactly right.  i use ido-hacks to
make the completion ido-ish, but that's not the relevant part.]

[more detail: org-id is also not the relevant part [except that, as a
bonus feature, inserting a link to a header without an org-id would,
only in this particular case, create an org-id in the target and link
using org-id, regardless of org-id settings].]