* help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15  0:43 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-07-15  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi all, I could use a bit of help with a regexp. I am trying to fine tune
the org-ref citation regexp to make it orthogonal to org-cite.

I want to recognize these as org-ref links

[[cite:schuett-2018-schnet]]
   cite:schuett-2018-schnet

but not

 [cite:@schuett-2018-schnet]

so either 0 or 2 [[ can prefix it to be a cite link in org-ref, but not 1 [.

right now the cite: in the org-cite syntax is getting flagged as bad cite
link which I want to avoid.

is this doable?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15  4:41 ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-07-15  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

I'd think so. Let me know if https://regex101.com/r/Ud6HVY/1 helps :)

--
Timothy

* Re: help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15  6:04   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-07-15  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 13:41, Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi John,
>
> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi all, I could use a bit of help with a regexp. I am trying to fine tune
>> the org-ref citation regexp to make it orthogonal to org-cite.
>>
>> I want to recognize these as org-ref links
>>
>> [[cite:schuett-2018-schnet]]
>>   cite:schuett-2018-schnet
>>
>> but not
>>
>> [cite:@schuett-2018-schnet]
>>
>> so either 0 or 2 [[ can prefix it to be a cite link in org-ref, but not 1 [.
>>
>> right now the cite: in the org-cite syntax is getting flagged as bad cite
>> link which I want to avoid.
>>
>> is this doable?
>
> I'd think so. Let me know if https://regex101.com/r/Ud6HVY/1 helps :)

cite:[^@][A-Za-z0-9_-]+|\[\[cite:[^@][A-Za-z0-9_-]+\]\]

There are no reasons to limit the string after : to ascii.

in isearch I tried:

\[\{2\}cite.*\]\{2\}\|[^\[]cite:[^ \
]*

And it seems to do the job.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15  8:40 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2021-07-15  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 20:43:24 -0400 John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all, I could use a bit of help with a regexp. I am trying to fine tune the org-ref citation regexp to
> make it orthogonal to org-cite.
>
> I want to recognize these as org-ref links
>
> [[cite:schuett-2018-schnet]]
>    cite:schuett-2018-schnet
>
> but not
>
>  [cite:@schuett-2018-schnet]
>
> so either 0 or 2 [[ can prefix it to be a cite link in org-ref, but not 1 [.
>
> right now the cite: in the org-cite syntax is getting flagged as bad cite link which I want to avoid.
>
> is this doable?

For your example this is sufficient (for real usage you probably want to
add more context to the right of 'cite'):

(re-search-forward "\\[\\[cite:\\|[^[]cite:")

Steve Berman

* Re: help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15  8:46   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2021-07-15  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:40:40 +0200 Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 20:43:24 -0400 John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I could use a bit of help with a regexp. I am trying to fine tune the org-ref citation regexp to
>> make it orthogonal to org-cite.
>>
>> I want to recognize these as org-ref links
>>
>> [[cite:schuett-2018-schnet]]
>>    cite:schuett-2018-schnet
>>
>> but not
>>
>>  [cite:@schuett-2018-schnet]
>>
>> so either 0 or 2 [[ can prefix it to be a cite link in org-ref, but not 1 [.
>>
>> right now the cite: in the org-cite syntax is getting flagged as bad cite link which I want to avoid.
>>
>> is this doable?
>
> For your example this is sufficient (for real usage you probably want to
> add more context to the right of 'cite'):
>
> (re-search-forward "\\[\\[cite:\\|[^[]cite:")

Or simply:

(re-search-forward "\\[\\[\\|[^[]cite:")

Steve Berman

* Re: help with a regexp
@ 2021-07-15 12:58   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-07-15 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: org-mode-email

Thanks everyone, these are all good suggestions.

I realized though the problem is that org-mode is recognizing something
like [cite:@darby-2018-lonel-atoms] as a cite link because of the cite:
part of it. In fact org-mode seems to recognize all [link:path] as an
org link.

In general that seems ok, but it leads to overlapping syntax with
org-cite and the one org-ref link.

It seems to be a partial solution to remove the cite link from
org-link-parameters, but that isn't ideal to me because older documents
won't work with org-ref that way (most of mine use cite: very
extensively).

The best solution in my opinion would be for org-mode to not recognize
[cite:...] as a link. Other ideas?

Thanks,

--
Professor John Kitchin