I realize that. I offered this approach as an alternative, as I > believe I can add the functionality to expand inline images in the > description portion, but i don't see a way to make the link portion > accept "aliases" for the file: protocol without major changes to link > handling. Even then, it seems a bit like a hack. > > [many use cases omitted] >> > > Those are what I was thinking about for using other links as images. >> > > Other than having to repeat yourself, wouldn't the > [[custom:file.ext][file:file.**png]] syntax allow for most/all of the > use cases mentioned? > > rick > Yes, I think [[custom:file.ext][file:file.png]] would cover all those cases.