I think you are mistaken in what you think it does. I am pretty sure what it does is allow you to call named src-blocks with this syntax: #+call: some-func-in-lob(args) It doesn't make the functions in the code blocks necessarily available in another code block (although through side effects for emacs-lisp, that might happen). I think what you want (this works for emacs-lisp) is a file, say f1.org containing #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :tangle f1.el (defun mfe () 8) #+END_SRC Then, in another file you can do: #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (org-babel-load-file "f1.org") (mfe) #+END_SRC and you will get 8. org-babel-load This isn't possible in other languages. You can of course have an elisp block to tangle f1.org, and then if it was python, for example, you could import the functions in a python block. John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Lawrence Bottorff wrote: > New thread. Anyway, putting lisp/SLIME aside, I experimented with emacs > lisp -- and got the same results, i.e., no real LOB functionality, despite > proper loading. I must be doing something wrong? I'll describe my process > again: > > Load a.org and b.org into `org-babel-library-of-babel` with > `org-babel-lob-ingest`. Good. Check -- and yes, both functions are > in `org-babel-library-of-babel` and seem to be ready and "live." But when I > try to call them in c.org, org-mode has no knowledge of them. Then I try > #+call and #+lob on a b.org function. Still no knowledge of it. At this > point I'm not sure LOB works -- or I have a mistaken idea of what it is and > what it does. > > LB > > >