This sounds like what TODO keywords are for. For example: You can easily change the TODO state with shift-left/right on each heading. #+TODO: TODO CLARIFY | CANCELLED DONE * top-level task ** TODO something I haven't done yet *** DONE something I've already done CLOSED: [2017-05-14 Sun 15:12] **** TODO a minor improvement that I haven't done yet * CANCELLED something I decided isn't worth doing CLOSED: [2017-05-14 Sun 15:13] * CLARIFY something that needs further clarification John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Vladimir Panteleev < thecybershadow@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello! > > A lot of thanks to all org-mode developers for their work. > > I've started using Emacs and org-mode last year, and have been steadily > trying to migrate all of my notes from plain text to org-mode. > > I have run into some difficulties with porting over my project notes and > to-do lists. For example, my to-do lists generally look something like this: > > - top-level task > - something I haven't done yet > + something I've already done > - a minor improvement that I haven't done yet > x something I decided isn't worth doing > ? something that needs further clarification > > My software design notes look similar: > > - name of the component > - one idea of how to implement it > x an idea that turned out impractical/impossible/etc. > - rationale > + the idea I went with > - rationale > > Real example (notes for a serialization library): > https://dump.thecybershadow.net/ec9518b75f1001467972fb7deee058e9/notes.txt > > Although this mostly corresponds to using org-mode lists with checkboxes, > the biggest obstacle I encountered is that there is no equivalent for the > 'x' bullet. I've tried to simply mark off those items as checked checkboxes > (and indicate the information some other way), however I've invariably > found this as a regression in legibility. > > So, my questions are: > > - I've looked through the documentation (and source code, a bit), and > though it doesn't seem like it, have I missed some org-mode functionality > that would help this use case? > > - Would it make sense to teach org-mode to recognize another checkbox > state (e.g. [!])? > > - Perhaps it's more practical to instead get org-mode to work with the > syntax I already use. This would mean: > 1. Being able to customize which characters org-mode considers as list > bullets > 2. Preserve each list item's individual bullet when reformatting lists > 3. Optionally, allow recognizing certain list bullet characters as > counting towards statistic cookies (as either completed or not). > > - Would the above changes be something I could perform myself with a > reasonable amount of effort? And, would any of them make sense for > inclusion into org-mode as additional options? (IMHO, a customizable alist > for recognized list bullets and their effect or statistic cookies would be > very nice!) > > Thanks for reading this far! > > -- > Best regards, > Vladimir > >