I guess that is just expanding the src blocks, not actually running them. I couldn't find where that happens though, it is early in the export process I think. Maybe you can just use a preprocessing hook to export to org, which should only include the selected sections, then export that to what you want. John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his) Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 7:07 AM Eric S Fraga wrote: > Hello all, > > TL;DR: can I have org completely ignore src blocks in non-selected > sections during export without using COMMENT? > > Longer version: I am in the process of writing a book. I prefer to have > all the content in one file and use SELECT_TAGS to limit the export (for > formatting) to the current section I am working on. > > I have noticed that all org babel src blocks are processed in some way > even if (a) they are not in a selected section and (b) have, for > instance, ":eval no-export" set. For some of these blocks, the > processing time appears to be quite significant, e.g. if they have a > ":var x=somebigtable", but I could be wrong about this, of course. > > I do not understand why these src blocks are processed at all. Is there > some way to stop them being processed? I know I could "comment" out all > other sections but that's a lot more work and messy than simply tagging > the current section to be selected. > > Attached is a minimal example. When I export, I see these messages: > > org-babel-exp process julia at position 162... > org-babel-exp process julia at position 384... > > Thank you, > eric > > -- > : Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.2-385-g37d8bc in Emacs 29.0.50 >