* bug#14910: org-mode `org-open-at-point' doesn't follow id links
       [not found] <871u6uv901.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2013-07-20 16:13 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <CAJ1SQWDbdR0WivwcYFr=5wO1VR3Nx5urUsXGk8C=hTCeQR0_bQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2013-07-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: 14910

Hi Oleh,

Oleh <oleh.krehel@gmail.com> writes:

> As the subject says.

This bug is fixed in upstream Org.  You can either install Org
separately or wait for the next stable version to be merged in
Emacs.

 Bastien

* bug#14910: org-mode `org-open-at-point' doesn't follow id links
       [not found]     ` <871u6rht0h.fsf@bzg.ath.cx>
@ 2013-07-22  9:27       ` Oleh Krehel
       [not found]       ` <CAJ1SQWAm1fiA29-nQFKNAvNx2Zj6zmRJYja_rGgEm7qwPT1k=A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Oleh Krehel @ 2013-07-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 14910

Hi Bastien,

> please make sure to send your replies on the list, you'll get a
> quicker answer.
Thanks for reminding, I keep forgetting.

> As for requiring org-id for `org-open-at-point', I'm not sure this
> is the right thing to do since it will require it for all users, even
> those who don't use org-id at all.
I understand that you don't want to bloat the loaded code, but the current
behavior isn't optimal:
* I open a file with a link [[id:58cc1851-c36a-452a-82e1-0b9ecde1c472][foo]]
* I click the link and get the message
  "No match. Create this as a new heading?" And on "y" it proceeds to create it.
  In the same file that I asked it to find it.
  Just a few lines above the actual reference. That's not very smart.

If there's a link in the file, it points somewhere in 99% cases.
And currently the program assumes implicitly that stupid user clicked on a
dangling link and rushes to correct him before even looking in the
same file if the requested sequence of 36 chars (pretty unique) is
actually there.

The issue is that the current solution isn't portable.
I've sent last week an org file to a new org-mode user with id links.
And he says that they don't work.
He's not experienced in elisp, so it's hard for me to explain to him
that he has to include (require 'org-id) in his ~/.emacs to make links work.
In my opinion it would be best to require 'org-id implicitly so that
the links work the same for all users.

Imagine that I've sent him a pdf with links that don't work
and then I told him that he needs to install some specific software
from who knows where just to make the pdf links work.

regards,
Oleh

* bug#14910: bug#14910: org-mode `org-open-at-point' doesn't follow id links
       [not found]       ` <CAJ1SQWAm1fiA29-nQFKNAvNx2Zj6zmRJYja_rGgEm7qwPT1k=A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-07-23  7:41         ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2013-07-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh Krehel, Bastien; +Cc: 14910

Oleh Krehel <o.krehel@tue.nl> writes:

>> As for requiring org-id for `org-open-at-point', I'm not sure this
>> is the right thing to do since it will require it for all users, even
>> those who don't use org-id at all.

> The issue is that the current solution isn't portable.[...]
> In my opinion it would be best to require 'org-id implicitly so that
> the links work the same for all users.

We could have a lazy loading of the file in case the "id:" string is
encountered. Actually, we could have a lazy loading of a default package
for each supported link. That would avoid the pain of loading the
package when users don't use it and still make those links work.

IIRC, the difficulty of that solution is that each package implementing
a link (like org-id) explicitly registers to indicate it can handle some
link while my solution assumes that there is some knowledge of which
package handle what link before loading it. For that reason, it is not
so easy to implement. I guess though that the behavior is more close to
what we should want to have.

--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2017-12-04 21:50   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 14910-done, Oleh

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Oleh,
>
> Oleh <oleh.krehel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> As the subject says.
>
> This bug is fixed in upstream Org.  You can either install Org
> separately or wait for the next stable version to be merged in
> Emacs.

I'm closing this bug, per the last comment.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738