Running just now... will answer in detail later Just want to say for now that this was prompted by a discussion on python list in which a half-dozen people expressed a wish for something like this. Nobody seemed to know/mention org and since I could not work out all the details, Ive not so far answered On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote: > Hi Rustom, > > thanks for this. > > On 16.8.2013, at 16:30, Rustom Mody wrote: > > > Ive recently been poking around in orgtbl mode and encountered some > > issues. Not sure how much is my own lack of understanding and how > > much there are some little doc issues. > > > > 1 Option names dont match > > ========================= > > > > - Its orgtbl-radio-table-templates in emacs > > - Its orgtbl-radio-tables in doc Appendix A.6.2 > > Fixed, thanks. > > > > > > > 2 Receiving string > > ================== > > > > - Seems to be "RECEIVE ORGTBL" > > It is BEGIN RECEIVE ORGTBL followed by a table name. As the example in > the manual shows. Does this have to be more explicit? > > > - String seems to be hardwired. Which may be ok if its by design. > > Yes, hardwired by design. > > > - Not clear what is the relation of this string and > > orgtbl-radio-templates > > The templates insert a BEGIN RECEIVE/END RECEIVE table template with > *proper commenting* around it in different programming modes. > I improved this in the docs. > > > - I find 1 space is fixed between RECEIVE and ORGTBL. Multiple > > allowed between ORGTBL and table-name > > OK, I have removed this restriction. > > > - Its not clear from the doc whether its "RECEIVE ORGTBL" or > > "/* RECEIVE ORGTBL" > > That depends on the programming mode. The documentation says that the > lines must be comments in the current mode, I would think that this is > clear enough. > > > - Subtle interaction between # in org and host mode comment char -- # > > in python, shell etc -- could do with some elaboration > > Can you propose something for the documentation? > > > > > > > 3 hook system > > ============= > > > > - What are the hooks for orgtbl? > > - How do the org hooks relate to the orgtbl hooks? > > - Note: orgtbl is for those who are not otherwise using orgmode > > What to you mean? Mode hooks, or hooks for specific functionality of the > table? If table commands run hooks, the corresponding trgtbl commands will > do so as well, because they simply call the table functions in an > environment where the proper keys bindings are not accessible. > > orgtbl-mode is a standard minor mode and has `orgtbl-mode-hook', similar > to all other minor modes. See the documentation of define-minor-mode. Do > you feel the manual should say so? It does not document many other hooks > in org either, because there are too many. > > > > > > 4 Long header line > > ================== > > > > I could not figure out how to split a long > > :#+ORGTBL: SEND... line > > It cannot be split. > > Regards > > - Carsten > > > > > Regards > > Rusi > > > > -- http://www.the-magus.in http://blog.languager.org