Thanks for the response, Eric. :) On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 1:51 AM Fraga, Eric wrote: > On Thursday, 5 Mar 2020 at 10:28, Tim Visher wrote: > > I _am_ able to get it to work by adding a file local variable like > > > > ``` > > # Local Variables: > > # org-attach-id-dir: "~/.foo/data" > > # End: > > ``` > > > > but then whenever I open the file it tells me it's possibly not safe to > set > > that. > > You've already received a more org-ish response but I'll give you an > Emacs response to this part of your post: Emacs is simply making sure > you are aware that a variable is being set when visiting a file. > Yep. That's fully understood. I'm less clear on why certain variables are considered safe and some are not but that doesn't seem relevant. I've done enough with file local and directory local variables in the past that I have a pretty clear understanding of what they do. My question was more around why I had to do it at all since based on my reading of the manual it seems like I should've been able to do this with some kind of file-wide property. Specifically, I've never been able to wrap my head around `(info "(org) Property Syntax")`. "Properties are key–value pairs. When they are associated with a single entry or with a tree…," for instance, seems to imply by "When they are associated with a single entry…" that they can be associated with all the entries (or a particular tree or node). Anyway, I think between you and Gustav I finally have this sorted. 1. To set properties at the top level of a file you need to use the `#+PROPERTY: ` syntax. I've been trying to figure out how I misinterpreted that in the past and I _think_ it was because I assumed that the `#+PROPERTY` was actually `#+` as in `#+DIR` rather than `#+PROPERTY: DIR`. It looks like to set a file local property in an org file you _must_ (at least on 9.3 or earlier) use the `#+PROPERTY: ` syntax. 2. Even then by default org-attach property inheritance is set to `'selective` and `org-use-property-inheritance` is set to off. I've now customized `org-use-property-inheritance` to `'("DIR")` which I believe says that I consider the `DIR` property to be a possible candidate for inheritance and no others. I'm a little concerned about performance implications as the manual gives me all kinds of scary warnings but we'll see about that. Anyway this appears to work as I expect it to. I don't have to set a file-local variable to anything. I'm using org properties. And `org-attach-dir` now returns the proper directory for this file. Thanks all! If you think I'm still misunderstanding something please correct me. :) -- In Christ, Timmy V. https://blog.twonegatives.com https://five.sentenc.es