On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:36 AM Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Tim Visher writes: > > > Thanks for the tip. What I'm thinking more is somehow getting the heading > > pre-output generation, stripping any characters that `org` would consider > > special (I'm hoping there's already a function that can at least mark > > 'markup' text in a given org string), and _then_ passing it to whatever > ox > > function is responsible for using the title. That way it's as generic as > it > > can possibly be. > > What format has "heading pre-output generation"? Is a string or is it > parsed data? The first part of your paragraph sounds like you want to > rewrite an Org parser. > > How do you pass it to ox function responsible for using the title? I.e., > who/what is responsible for making the change to the title? Is it the > user? > > You may need to clarify your specifications. > > > I confess though that I don't follow exactly what you're talking about > > defining a temporary export back-end. > > In `org-html--build-meta-info' from "ox-html.el", replace the following > > (org-html-plain-text > (org-element-interpret-data (plist-get info :title)) info) > > with > > (org-export-data-with-backend (plist-get info :title) > (org-export-create-backend > :transcoders > '((bold . (lambda (_ c _) c)) > (italic . (lambda (_ c _) c)))) > info) > > Now re-evaluate the function `org-html--build-meta-info' and try > exporting a document to HTML with a title containing bold and italic > syntax, even nested, e.g. > > #+title: /Some *bold* text/ > > > Why would that be necessary or beneficial to the end of teaching org > > how to use only the 'plain text' of a heading for the title in N ox > > backends? > > Adding the function `org-export-strip-syntax below to "ox.el" > > (defun org-export-strip-syntax (data info) > (org-export-data-with-backend data > (org-export-create-backend > :transcoders > '((bold . (lambda (_ c _) c)) > (italic . (lambda (_ c _) c)))) > info)) > > you can now call it from any export back-end whenever its needs to > remove syntax from a piece of code. > > You can also drop the info argument and add it to "org-element.el". But > it depends on what you want to obtain. Also, some syntax is not obvious > to strip, as I suggested in my previous message. > Awesome! This is a ton of great info. If I decide to bite this off I'll be sure to reference this. :)