* Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-16  0:31 Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-16  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use a widescreen monitor, and when I initiate an org-capture the frame
transforms mid-capture as follows:

+---+---+---+---+     +-------+-------+
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | --> |   1   |capture|
+---+---+---+---+     +-------+-------+

I find this behavior disruptive, as I generally want to condense
information from multiple sources into a single note. Ideally I'd like all
my existing windows to remain open for reference. I would prefer for the
capture buffer to respect my display-buffer settings.

From what I’ve gathered, this behavior seems to be caused by the
delete-other-windows function in org-capture-place-template. While there
are workarounds developed by users, I’d appreciate the developers’ thoughts
on potentially changing the default behavior of how org-capture manages
windows.

Best regards,
Amol Vaidya

* Re: Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-16 19:24 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol Vaidya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Amol Vaidya <amolvaidya06@gmail.com> writes:

> I use a widescreen monitor, and when I initiate an org-capture the frame
> transforms mid-capture as follows:
>
> +---+---+---+---+     +-------+-------+
> | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | --> |   1   |capture|
> +---+---+---+---+     +-------+-------+
>
> I find this behavior disruptive, as I generally want to condense
> information from multiple sources into a single note. Ideally I'd like all
> my existing windows to remain open for reference. I would prefer for the
> capture buffer to respect my display-buffer settings.

Have you tried the latest version of Org mode (Org 9.7)?
Org 9.7 should honor `display-buffer-alist'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-16 20:34   ` Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you for your response.

I have tested this with a clean installation of Emacs, where I
installed Org mode 9.7, but I am still encountering the same behavior.

For reference, I’ve attached a screen recording that demonstrates the
issue. I’ve also verified that Org 9.7 is being used, as shown in the
Messages buffer in the left-most window.
https://0x0.st/X3bi.mp4

Please let me know if you need any further information or if there are
any settings I may have overlooked.

Regards,
Amol Vaidya

@ 2024-09-17 18:48     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-17 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol Vaidya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Amol Vaidya <amolvaidya06@gmail.com> writes:

> I have tested this with a clean installation of Emacs, where I
> installed Org mode 9.7, but I am still encountering the same behavior.
>
> For reference, I’ve attached a screen recording that demonstrates the
> issue. I’ve also verified that Org 9.7 is being used, as shown in the
> Messages buffer in the left-most window.
> https://0x0.st/X3bi.mp4
>
> Please let me know if you need any further information or if there are
> any settings I may have overlooked.

May you share your `display-buffer-alist'? Or, ideally, provide a
reproducer? See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#bug-reporting

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-17 21:28       ` Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-17 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

(Apologies for replying to this twice Ihor, forgot to reply-all last time.)

The linked video was from an emacs -q, so I have made no modifications to
display-buffer-alist, and my understanding is that emacs -q is equivalent
to an empty init file. If that's not correct, I'm not sure what kind of
reproducer I need to be providing.

I am using Emacs 29.4. I am using org 9.7.11. I don't know what the
protocol for submitting long code excerpts is to this mailing list, so I
apologize if this is not the preferred method, but the output of
org-submit-bug-report is given below. If there is other information I
should provide, please let me know.

(setq
 org-link-elisp-confirm-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-bibtex-headline-format-function 'org-bibtex-headline-format-default
 org-babel-exp-inline-code-template "src_%lang[%switches%flags]{%body}"
 org-persist-after-read-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-after-read)
 org-export-before-parsing-hook '(org-attach-expand-links)
 org-cycle-tab-first-hook '(org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
   org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-archive-hook '(org-attach-archive-delete-maybe)
 org-odt-format-inlinetask-function
'org-odt-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-ascii-format-drawer-function '(closure (t) (_name contents _width)
   contents)
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
 org-cycle-show-empty-lines
 org-cycle-optimize-window-after-visibility-change
 org-cycle-display-inline-images)
 org-persist-before-read-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-before-read)
 org-yank-image-file-name-function 'org-yank-image-autogen-filename
 org-mode-hook '((closure
 (org--rds reftex-docstruct-symbol org-attach-method
  org-agenda-restrict-end org-agenda-restrict-begin
  org-agenda-restrict visual-fill-column-width
  org-clock-history org-agenda-current-date org-with-time
  org-defdecode org-def org-read-date-inactive org-ans2
  org-ans1 org-columns-current-fmt-compiled
  org-clock-current-task org-clock-effort
  org-agenda-skip-function org-agenda-skip-comment-trees
  org-agenda-archives-mode org-end-time-was-given
  org-time-was-given org-state
  org-agenda-headline-snapshot-before-repeat
  org-agenda-buffer-name org-agenda-start-on-weekday
  org-agenda-buffer-tmp-name buffer-face-mode-face
  org-struct-menu org-last-state org-clock-start-time
  texmathp-why remember-data-file
  org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options
  calc-embedded-open-mode calc-embedded-open-formula
  calc-embedded-close-formula align-mode-rules-list
  org-export-registered-backends crm-separator
  org-id-overriding-file-name
  org-indent-indentation-per-level
  org-element--timestamp-regexp
  org-element-cache-map-continue-from
  org-element-paragraph-separate org-agenda-buffer-name
  org-inlinetask-min-level t)
 nil
 (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook 'org-fold-show-all
  'append 'local)
 )
(closure (*this* org-babel-confirm-evaluate-answer-no t)
 nil
 (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook
  #'org-babel-show-result-all 'append 'local)
 )
#[0 "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
  [add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-fold-show-all
   append local]
  5]
#[0 "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
  [add-hook change-major-mode-hook
   org-babel-show-result-all append local]
  5]
org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
 org-latex-format-drawer-function '(closure
   (engrave-faces-latex-mathescape
    engrave-faces-current-preset-style
    engrave-faces-latex-output-style t)
   (_ contents) contents)
 org-latex-format-headline-function
'org-latex-format-headline-default-function
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-html-format-drawer-function '(closure
  (htmlize-buffer-places
   org-html-format-table-no-css
   htmlize-css-name-prefix
   htmlize-output-type
   htmlize-output-type
   htmlize-css-name-prefix t)
  (_name contents) contents)
 outline-isearch-open-invisible-function 'outline-isearch-open-invisible
 org-sort-function 'string-collate-lessp
 org-odt-format-headline-function 'org-odt-format-headline-default-function
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
    org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-latex-default-packages-alist '(("AUTO" "inputenc" t ("pdflatex"))
   ("T1" "fontenc" t ("pdflatex"))
   ("" "graphicx" t) ("" "longtable" nil)
   ("" "wrapfig" nil) ("" "rotating" nil)
   ("normalem" "ulem" t) ("" "amsmath" t)
   ("" "amssymb" t) ("" "capt-of" nil)
   ("" "hyperref" nil))
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org--warnings nil
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-activate
 org-babel-speed-command-activate)
 org-html-format-inlinetask-function
'org-html-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-ascii-format-inlinetask-function 'org-ascii-format-inlinetask-default
 org-odt-format-drawer-function '(closure
 (hfy-user-sheet-assoc
  hfy-html-quote-regex hfy-html-quote-map
  hfy-face-to-css hfy-begin-span-handler
  hfy-end-span-handler
  nxml-auto-insert-xml-declaration-flag t)
 (_name contents) contents)
 org-persist-directory "/tmp/org-persist-dCXaXo"
 org-babel-exp-code-template "#+begin_src
%lang%switches%flags\n%body\n#+end_src"
 org-fold-core-isearch-open-function 'org-fold-core--isearch-reveal
 org-latex-format-inlinetask-function
'org-latex-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-persist-before-write-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-before-write)
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
     org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-link-shell-confirm-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-agenda-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region nil
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-link-parameters '(("attachment" :follow org-attach-follow :complete
org-attach-complete-link)
      ("id" :follow org-id-open :store
org-id-store-link-maybe)
      ("eww" :follow org-eww-open :store
org-eww-store-link)
      ("rmail" :follow org-rmail-open :store
org-rmail-store-link)
      ("mhe" :follow org-mhe-open :store
org-mhe-store-link)
      ("irc" :follow org-irc-visit :store
org-irc-store-link :export org-irc-export)
      ("info" :follow org-info-open :export
org-info-export :store org-info-store-link
:insert-description
org-info-description-as-command)
      ("gnus" :follow org-gnus-open :store
org-gnus-store-link)
      ("docview" :follow org-docview-open :export
org-docview-export :store org-docview-store-link)
      ("bibtex" :follow org-bibtex-open :store
org-bibtex-store-link)
      ("bbdb" :follow org-bbdb-open :export
org-bbdb-export :complete org-bbdb-complete-link
:store org-bbdb-store-link)
      ("w3m" :store org-w3m-store-link)
      ("doi" :follow org-link-doi-open :export
org-link-doi-export)
      ("file+sys") ("file+emacs")
      ("shell" :follow org-link--open-shell)
      ("news" :follow
#[514 "\301\300\302 Q \"\207"
 ["news" browse-url ":"] 6 "\n\n(fn URL ARG)"]
)
      ("mailto" :follow
#[514 "\301\300\302 Q \"\207"
 ["mailto" browse-url ":"] 6 "\n\n(fn URL ARG)"]
)
      ("https" :follow
#[514 "\301\300\302 Q \"\207"
 ["https" browse-url ":"] 6 "\n\n(fn URL ARG)"]
)
      ("http" :follow
#[514 "\301\300\302 Q \"\207"
 ["http" browse-url ":"] 6 "\n\n(fn URL ARG)"]
)
      ("ftp" :follow
#[514 "\301\300\302 Q \"\207"
 ["ftp" browse-url ":"] 6 "\n\n(fn URL ARG)"]
)
      ("help" :follow org-link--open-help :store
org-link--store-help)
      ("file" :complete org-link-complete-file)
      ("elisp" :follow org-link--open-elisp))
 org-html-format-headline-function
'org-html-format-headline-default-function
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-fold-core-style 'text-properties
 org-src-lang-modes '(("C" . c) ("C++" . c++) ("asymptote" . asy)
     ("bash" . sh) ("beamer" . latex)
     ("calc" . fundamental) ("cpp" . c++)
     ("ditaa" . artist) ("desktop" . conf-desktop)
     ("dot" . fundamental) ("elisp" . emacs-lisp)
     ("ocaml" . tuareg) ("screen" . shell-script)
     ("shell" . sh) ("sqlite" . sql) ("toml" . conf-toml))
 )

@ 2024-09-22  8:22         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-22  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol Vaidya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Amol Vaidya <amolvaidya06@gmail.com> writes:

> (Apologies for replying to this twice Ihor, forgot to reply-all last time.)
>
> The linked video was from an emacs -q, so I have made no modifications to
> display-buffer-alist, and my understanding is that emacs -q is equivalent
> to an empty init file. If that's not correct, I'm not sure what kind of
> reproducer I need to be providing.

Yes, you are correct. emacs -q is an equivalent to the empty init file.
And what you get with emacs -q is also expected - the default window placement.

There is no bug in what you have shown - Org mode uses its defaults (we
need to have some).

> I am using Emacs 29.4. I am using org 9.7.11. I don't know what the
> protocol for submitting long code excerpts is to this mailing list, so I
> apologize if this is not the preferred method, but the output of
> org-submit-bug-report is given below. If there is other information I
> should provide, please let me know.

I am trying to figure out your report that Org mode does not respect
`display-buffer-alist'. Org mode, since Org 9.7, should respect user
customization in `display-buffer-alist'.

What I want from you is sufficient information for me to replicate the
problem you are seeing on my computer. Without such information, I
simply cannot diagnose the problem.

The usual way to produce such information is providing detailed steps,
starting from emacs -Q, that demonstrate the problem.

In your case, it is probably something like
1. emacs -Q
2. Evaluate (setq display-buffer-alist ...)
3. Run M-x org-capture ...
4. Observe display-buffer-alist not being respected

See also https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

May you please provide such information for me?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-22 16:52           ` Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Again, I apologize for sending this email to you twice Ihor. I keep
forgetting to hit reply-all. Anyway...

Thank you for your clarification. Just a minor point: my concern is that
org-capture is not adhering to general display-buffer settings rather than
specifically display-buffer-alist. In my case display-buffer-alist is nil
when I run emacs -q, but according to section 29.13.1 of the Elisp manual,
if display-buffer-alist is nil, then display-buffer should consult the
display-buffer-base-action user option to decide where to display a buffer.

In my setup, when I run emacs -q display-buffer-base-action has the
following value

((display-buffer--maybe-same-window
  display-buffer-reuse-window
  display-buffer--maybe-pop-up-frame-or-window
  display-buffer-in-previous-window
  display-buffer-use-some-window
  display-buffer-pop-up-frame)).

So the steps to reproduce the behavior I'm encountering are as follows
1. Run emacs -q
2. C-x 3 C-x 3 to split the frame into three windows.
3. M-x org-capture [RET] t

At this point, only two windows are displayed, rather than the three that
were originally open. I'm not entirely familiar with what all the
display-functions in display-buffer-base-action do, but I don't believe any
of them should result in windows being deleted. This suggests that
org-capture may not be respecting that setting.

I also tried doing the following two alternative sets of steps, both
leading to the same behavior

TEST 1:
1. Run emacs -q
2. M-x ielm
3. In ielm, run (setq display-buffer-base-action
'((display-buffer-same-window)))
4. C-x 3 C-x 3 to split the frame into three windows
5. M-x org-capture [RET] t

TEST 2:
1. Run emacs -q
2. M-x ielm
3. In ielm, run (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '("\\*CAPTURE*"
(display-buffer-same-window)))
4. C-x 3 C-x 3 to split the frame into three windows
5. M-x org-capture [RET] t

In both cases, after running org-capture, all other windows are deleted
except one, regardless of the settings in display-buffer-base-action or
display-buffer-alist. This leads me to believe that org-capture may not be
respecting those settings, particularly if delete-other-windows is being
called, as appears to be the case in org-capture-place-template.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional details or further
clarification.

Best regards,
Amol Vaidya

@ 2024-09-22 17:02             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-22 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol Vaidya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Amol Vaidya <amolvaidya06@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your clarification. Just a minor point: my concern is that
> org-capture is not adhering to general display-buffer settings rather than
> specifically display-buffer-alist. In my case display-buffer-alist is nil
> when I run emacs -q, but according to section 29.13.1 of the Elisp manual,
> if display-buffer-alist is nil, then display-buffer should consult the
> display-buffer-base-action user option to decide where to display a buffer.

I see.
I think that you misunderstood what `display-buffer-base-action' is for.
It is only used when the Emacs package that is displaying the buffer
does not specify how to display it (in other words, calling
`display-buffer' without specifying ACTION argument)

That's not what Org capture do. Org capture does tell Emacs how to
display the buffer. Only when the user explicitly overrides Org capture
display settings (via `display-buffer-alist' or
`display-buffer-overriding-action'), the default behavior is changed.

If you look into the docstring of `display-buffer', you will see that
there are a number of user settings with different priorities:

    display-buffer builds a list of action functions and an action
    alist by combining any action functions and alists specified by
    display-buffer-overriding-action, display-buffer-alist, the
    ACTION argument, display-buffer-base-action, and
    display-buffer-fallback-action (in order).  Then it calls each
    function in the combined function list in turn, passing the
    buffer as the first argument and the combined action alist as the
    second argument, until one of the functions returns non-nil.

There is no bug in Org capture that we provide ACTION argument to hint
Emacs using what we believe is a better default compared to generic
buffer popups.

For you, as a user, the right way to configure how Org capture window is
displayed is customizing `display-buffer-alist'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org-Capture Window Behavior
@ 2024-09-22 17:33               ` Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm curious, then, why would what I've done in Test 2 nor corral it?

@ 2024-09-22 17:47                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol Vaidya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Amol Vaidya <amolvaidya06@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm curious, then, why would what I've done in Test 2 nor corral it?
>
> (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '("\\*CAPTURE*"
> (display-buffer-same-window)))

Oops. I missed that part.

It does not work for very simple reason - "\\*CAPTURE*" regexp does not
match buffer name of the capture buffer.

Try

@ 2024-09-22 18:26                   ` Amol Vaidya
From: Amol Vaidya @ 2024-09-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode