Thanks guys, Marc: I use git for installation and I don't think I have any old files in my load path. I have the files in my home directory but the compiled files are installed in the system emacs/site-lisp. Victor: Good, but please help a newbie. How do I apply this patch? Finally, I noticed that adding a new heading works with Ctrl-RET. But I still want M-RET to work! BR / Johan On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote: > Hi Johan, > > this is fixed in master. The relevant commit is here: > > http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0fff0ba6da30e4ced73f84c8305d80c955bae132 > > Cheers, > Viktor > > Johan Ekh wrote: > > > Hi all, > > I've installed version 8 of org-mode and now I get the message "not in an > > item" when I try to add new headings with "M-RET". What is wrong? > > > > BR / Johan >