emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* org-outlook with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
@ 2013-04-04 12:59 Per Kulseth Dahl
  2013-04-15 11:57 ` AW
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Per Kulseth Dahl @ 2013-04-04 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have been trying to get org-outlook to work without any success. I
am running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Yes, I wish didn't have to.

I have put the VBA code generated by org-outlook-generate-vba into
Outlook and then I changed the org-outlook-location to "c:/Program
Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office14/OUTLOOK.EXE" in org-outlook.el.
I didn't seem to work when I tried to change it through
customize-group.

I apparently get a link into an org document, but when click this link
I get "ShellExecute failed: w32 error 2147749890".

I have set up org-protocol according to the Org Manual
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html).

I later came across this setup:
http://denihow.com/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outlook/

Which seems much simpler and looks to be sufficient for what I want,
but this doesn't work either. It seems there is a problem with

Dim doClipboard As New DataObject

I have tried to search for help on VBA, that I have no prior
experience with, for a clue as for what the problem is, but that has
so far been a very frustrating experience. I am therefore hoping
someone here has a working setup with Outlook 2010 and could point me
in the right direction. I doesn't have to be with org-outlook, I just
want have working links to Outlook messages in my org files.

--
Cheers,
Per

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: org-outlook with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
  2013-04-04 12:59 org-outlook with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Per Kulseth Dahl
@ 2013-04-15 11:57 ` AW
  2013-04-15 12:37   ` AW
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: AW @ 2013-04-15 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Per Kulseth Dahl

Am Donnerstag, 4. April 2013, 14:59:55 schrieb Per Per Kulseth Dahl:
> Hello,
> 
> I have been trying to get org-outlook to work without any success. I
> am running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Yes, I wish didn't have to.
> 
> I have put the VBA code generated by org-outlook-generate-vba into
> Outlook and then I changed the org-outlook-location to "c:/Program
> Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office14/OUTLOOK.EXE" in org-outlook.el.
> I didn't seem to work when I tried to change it through
> customize-group.
> 
> I apparently get a link into an org document, but when click this link
> I get "ShellExecute failed: w32 error 2147749890".

Hi Per,

did you get this solved? I'm interested, I get the same error after my PC at 
the office has been migrated to Outlook 2010 (Emacs 24.2, org-mode 7.9.4, 
Windows 7). 

Regards,
Alexander


> 
> I have set up org-protocol according to the Org Manual
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html).
> 
> I later came across this setup:
> http://denihow.com/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outloo
> k/
> 
> Which seems much simpler and looks to be sufficient for what I want,
> but this doesn't work either. It seems there is a problem with
> 
> Dim doClipboard As New DataObject
> 
> I have tried to search for help on VBA, that I have no prior
> experience with, for a clue as for what the problem is, but that has
> so far been a very frustrating experience. I am therefore hoping
> someone here has a working setup with Outlook 2010 and could point me
> in the right direction. I doesn't have to be with org-outlook, I just
> want have working links to Outlook messages in my org files.
> 
> --
> Cheers,
> Per

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: org-outlook with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
  2013-04-15 11:57 ` AW
@ 2013-04-15 12:37   ` AW
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: AW @ 2013-04-15 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Per Kulseth Dahl

Am Montag, 15. April 2013, 13:57:37 schrieb AW AW:
> Am Donnerstag, 4. April 2013, 14:59:55 schrieb Per Per Kulseth Dahl:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > I have been trying to get org-outlook to work without any success. I
> > am running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Yes, I wish didn't have to.
> > 
> > I have put the VBA code generated by org-outlook-generate-vba into
> > Outlook and then I changed the org-outlook-location to "c:/Program
> > Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office14/OUTLOOK.EXE" in org-outlook.el.
> > I didn't seem to work when I tried to change it through
> > customize-group.
> > 
> > I apparently get a link into an org document, but when click this link
> > I get "ShellExecute failed: w32 error 2147749890".
> 
> Hi Per,
> 
> did you get this solved? I'm interested, I get the same error after my PC at
> the office has been migrated to Outlook 2010 (Emacs 24.2, org-mode 7.9.4,
> Windows 7).
> 
> Regards,
> Alexander

OK, it was not that difficult. There seem to be many solutions. I'm satisfied 
with a simple one, discussed here:
http://superuser.com/questions/71786/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outlook

It was sufficient to change a line to meet the demands of the new outlook 
version:

 (w32-shell-execute "open" "Path/to/OUTLOOK.EXE" (concat "/select " "outlook:" 
id)

-- stolen from a comment there.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2013-04-15 12:32 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2013-04-04 12:59 org-outlook with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Per Kulseth Dahl
2013-04-15 11:57 ` AW
2013-04-15 12:37   ` AW

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).