On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Nick Dokos wrote: > Stelian Iancu wrote: > > > I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs > > and some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point > > where I have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a > > headline. The behavior seems random, i.e. it's not always the same > > header and I don't have specific steps to reproduce. > > > > Versions: > > GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of > 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org > > > > Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @ > /Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/ > > org-plus-contrib-20121231/) > > > > Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen? > > > > Does it hang or is is stuck in a loop? Check whether emacs is is > accumulating CPU time with ps. > > If it's in a loop and C-g works to get it out, you can set > debug-on-quit, interrupt it and ponder the backtrace. Doing it a couple > of times might indicate where the problem is. > > If not, then the only thing I can think of is attaching strace to the > emacs process, and figuring out what it is doing. > > In either case, easier said than done, but desperate times call for > desperate measures. > > Nick > > Well it seems that it didn't hang at all. What happens is that the buffer which contains the org file doesn't seem to accept any keyboard input anymore. If I use the mouse to switch to another buffer, there the keyboard input works as it should. Then if I switch back to the problematic file, it works as well, for a while. Also, I've noticed that the problem seems to be happening when I try to expand a heading. For now I can do this mouse switching of buffers but I'd really like to know what happens and how can it be fixed.