On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thomas Renkert < tunnelblick@quantentunnel.de> wrote: > Jambunathan K gmail.com> writes: > > > > > The biggest diasadvantage would be fragmentation of information. > > > > All information needs to have authoritative sources and archives. I > > believe the info manual, GNU mailing list and the Orgmode.org domain (of > > which Worg is but a part) are the right place for such archival > > references. > > Sure. But reading the manual from a to z or searching the mailing list for > the > right line of elisp is sometimes very slow if you need a quick solution. I > am by > no means suggesting that we should give up the established ways of > archiving > information or discussion, though. > > I simply think that something like "ask.orgmode.org" with a > stackexchange-like > interface could be very helpful for a larger portion of users. > > It may happen that redundant information is produced by this idea but I > think it > will make orgmode more usable and less intimidating for new users. > Something > similar has happened before: the orgguide was Carsten's solution for the > complex > 200+ pages of the original manual. > > Besides I find that useful information is already pretty much fragmented > across > the threads of this mailing list (there is also a lot of bugfixing, > regression > reports and feature request going on). > > Sure, the knowledge is there somewhere but it would be nice to see what > works > and what is useful without having to try everything for yourself. > > > > > I don't think anyone would object to having a secondary marketplace for > > trading of orgmode related tips and tricks. > > > My question is if anyone on this list would actively participate to get it > off > the ground. And I think that hosting it on the orgmode.org-server would > make a > lot of sense. > > Is somebody here interested in starting this? > > > Not starting - but I think it is a really good idea. Nothing against worg (an absolutely fantastic resource) - but I consider the way that worg is edited as more static then a dynamic FAQ page, which this would result in if I understand correctly. I would definitely add to it. I agree that this should not replace any of the great resources of org, but it could supplement as a more dynamic format then worg, but more structured then a mailing list. Cheers, Rainer -- Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany) Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology Stellenbosch University South Africa Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44 Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98 Fax (F): +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44 Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44 email: Rainer@krugs.de Skype: RMkrug