Thanks for sharing this. However, after adding this to my ~/.emacs I do not see anything appearing in my .emacs.d/backup directory. #+begin_src emacs-lisp (setq make-backup-files t) (setq backup-directory-alist '(("/home/js/*" . "/home/js/.emacs.d/backup"))) (setq backup-by-copying t ; don't use symlinks delete-old-versions t ; don't ask me about deleting backups kept-new-versions 20 kept-old-versions 5 version-control t) ; use versioned backups #+end_src Regards Johann On 2 December 2013 17:37, Alexander Baier wrote: > On 13-12-02 12:21 Rainer Stengele wrote: > > All, > > > > last week I played around with org-indent-mode in my biggest (37.000 > lines) org file. > > 3 days later I detected that most of the file was corrupted. > > WHy so late? Using the agenda I only saw the todos and did not recognise > the corrupted structures. > > Most "*" items had been placed at the beginning of the line and > therefore now became headlines. > > I do not know how this happened. I am not sure if I myself was the > reason somehow. > > Anyway I had to spend a fair amount of work to get the old file format > from > > subversion and insert the changes since the corruption. > > > > This is just a warning to have backups at hand before changing to > org-indent mode. > > Then immediately and check often the contents of the file until you are > sure all is running well. > > > > Maybe someone has an idea. > > > > I will try to convert again later but then be much more careful. > > > > Rainer > > > > > > FWIW, I have the following snippet in my init file, that uses emacs' > build-in backup machanism to save me from such things. As emacs stuffs > them all in one central location, I do not have to worry about polluting > my filesystem. > > #+begin_src emacs-lisp > (setq make-backup-files t) > (setq backup-directory-alist '(("/home/delexi/*" . > "/home/delexi/.emacs.d/backup"))) > (setq backup-by-copying t ; don't use symlinks > delete-old-versions t ; don't ask me about deleting backups > kept-new-versions 20 > kept-old-versions 5 > version-control t) ; use versioned backups > #+end_src > > If you want to make backups from files under version control, you also > have to set the following: > > #+begin_src emacs-lisp > (setq vc-make-backup-files t) > #+end_src > > This already saved me a couple of times. > > Regards, > -- > Alexander Baier > > -- Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself, my lips will praise you. (Psalm 63:3)