Hi Devin, Your could try https://org-web.org/ - it allows online editing of Org files and a quick test shows that it supports the automatic update of checkbox counts. --Diego On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 22:39, Devin Prater wrote: > So, I’ll try to not turn this into a novella. I am a “Technical > Assistant”, and I teach at an adult education sort of trade school. This > probably sounds normal, but the only sort of catch is that I am blind, and > so are many of my students, the rest having some vision loss. > > So, I have to find workarounds for just about everything I do. I teach > Assistive Technology, which is basically how to use tech as a > blind/visually impaired person. We have our courses on 😣Moodle😣, because > apparently no one has created a learning system that deals with directories > and config files for those who do best in that environment, instead of > freaking databases, and web interfaces even fatter than I am. I do hate web > interfaces, and web interfaces wrapped in “apps” too. It shouldn’t be an > app if its built on web tech. Yes, you too, Electron! > > Anyways, I have some manual tests I do. I have the questions in an > Org-mode file, with checkboxes I can check or leave unchecked. Up until > recently, I went down the list and graded them manually. But I thought “Now > wait, can’t the computer do this for me? I mean, Org-mode is so powerful, > why not make a Lisp thing that does that for me?” So, being a very beginner > programmer who still finds it daunting to move my blog from Jekyll to > Hugo—I’m almost done with that—and can only print stuff with Python, that > didn’t work out so well. I’ll have to actually read through the Elisp Intro > to get better at that. > > Then, I thought I’d look into the Org manual and see if there was a way to > “count” checkboxes. And there is > ! So, I can just put [%] on > the heading where I want the grade, and my goodness, it works! I no longer > have to manually grade the assignments! That saves so much time for me, and > now I just wish the world was in Org-mode so I could just manage everything > else through its power as well. > > Now, I do wish I could share these “self-grading” performance tests with > others. I’ve tried exporting one to HTML, but the grade doesn’t seem to > update automatically like it does in Org-mode. And no, other teachers > around me are *not* going to switch to Org-mode, let alone Emacs, for this. > So, does anyone have any ideas for how this can be shared? I don’t know any > Javascript or anything. > > So, thanks so much to the Org maintainers, and the community that keeps > Org alive. It’s allowed me to write and share so much, and soon I’ll be > using it even more with Hugo. >