From: Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org>
To: Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com>
Cc: Org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bug: org-babel-expand-noweb-references is very slow [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @ /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 09:45:28 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Vladimir,

The main difference I have noticed is that you can have multiple blocks
with the same :noweb-ref header argument, and they will be concatenated on
tangle. I use this in some of my files to progressively build a block of
code which is then referenced somewhere else. With #+name, you can have
only one block with each name, the others are discarded (can't remember if
it's the first or the last one that gets used).

I guess this is also why :noweb-ref tangling is slow, since all blocks need
to be scanned and put together.

--Diego