What are RET and C-j bound to? In my setup, RET is bound to =org-return=, which does not delete spaces, but C-j is bound to =org-return-and-maybe-indent=, which does. So I have the opposite behavior as yours. There were some recent changes in behavior of Org with respect to electric-indent-mode (long discussion in the list), I think this might have something to do with it but did not follow the full discussion. Hope this helps, --Diego On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM Titus von der Malsburg wrote: > > On 2020-11-30 Mon 19:25, Diego Zamboni wrote: > >> > >> I’m aware of several workarounds and this one is perhaps the best. > >> However, I’d prefer if RET would just work as expected. Org sometimes > >> inserts extra material on RET which I think is okay (e.g. indentation), > but > >> is there any precedent, in Org or Emacs more broadly, for RET deleting > >> text? It seems very counter-intuitive to me. > >> > > > > Could it be that the space is being deleted not when you press RET but > > when you save the file? I don't see any space deletion when entering an > > empty headline, but in my config, whitespace at end of lines is deleted > > on save. In Doom Emacs this is enabled by default, and even before I was > > using =delete-trailing-whitespace= as part of my =before-save-hook=. > > --Diego > > The space is deleted immediately. But the fact that it’s not happening on > your system perhaps means that there *is* a setting that prevents it. The > question is: which? > > By the way, I’m using the master branch from > https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git as installed by straight.el. > > Titus > >