My use case is a large file of notes that I want to typeset frequently as I update it, so that won't work for me unless there's an easy way to pass a filtered version of the file to the exporter. Personally I'd prefer a customization option to change this behavior, but if that's not doable I'll work around it. Might be worth putting a note about it in the manual, though. (I can't find the previous discussion of this, so sorry if I'm retreading old ground.) Thanks, Michael On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Michael Behr writes: > > > I want to export a subtree of a file, but that subtree has links to > > headings in the file that are outside of the subtree. I expect the > > exporting process to produce some sort of valid result, but instead it > > throws an "Unable to resolve link" error. Here's a test file to > > reproduce: > > > > * Foo > > * Bar :export: > > [[*Foo][Foo]] > > > > Making a file with those contents and trying to export it to e.g. > > latex will fail, but if the :export: tag is removed, exporting > > succeeds. I can't easily get a backtrace because the error comes from > > user-error, but it happens in org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link. > > > > Of course the exported file can't link to a target that doesn't exist, > > but it's probably better to strip out the link in this case than to > > throw an error, right? > > Actually, wrong. It was discussed already, and the current trend is to > throw an error instead of silently dropping the link. > > Can't you just filter it out before exporting? > > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou >