I've looked a bit more into what Joseph linked to. What about using Org locally on your computer, and sharing an http://markup.rocks + DropBox access to your Org files for non-emacs collaborators? If CoCalc provides something you need that you don't have locally, you could combine CoCalc + Markup.Rocks. I heard (and CoCalc repeats) here https://doc.cocalc.com/howto/external-tools.html that DropBox won't work on certain linux filesystems, but I have never run into this issue yet, so it may work. On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 8:17 AM Prof. Dr. Johanna May < johanna.may@th-koeln.de> wrote: > Dear Ken, > > thank you very much. I'm looking into cocalc now. I already got it to > compile some test.org file as pdf. I also set up a test file there in > order to start finding out how to do this. Next step, I guess, would be > to see, if org-babel works. Unfortunately, it looks like > a bit more work since for collaboration I need to find out about > versioning and testing the stuff and also about how to get some very > simple interface working there, maybe for small edits github is > nicer. But I have to admit, my experience on tramp (what is that?) and > git is very limited, so I don't yet have an idea of how to set that up > in a good way. > > Jupyter Notebooks are not what I feel is right for lecture notes in that > subject since they cannot display circuitikz and latex export is not the > way it should be. It's not a programming class I'm teaching and many > students do prefer the pdf they can either print out or annotate in some > software on their tablets or just display on their smartphone. The exam > is in writing and on paper. > > I do also provide some jupyter notebooks, but only for the interested > part of the class and they surely can manage without that. As always, > such options are rather taken up by the more skilled, and not so much by > the weaker students, unfortunately. > > Cheers, have a good weekend! > > J > > Am Samstag, 18. April 2020 um 15:59 schrieb Ken Mankoff ... > > Hi Dr. May, > > > > Unfortunately I have not found Emacs + Org to be the right tools when > collaborating. What we need is a way for Org wrap/interface/edit Jupyter > Notebooks, since that seems to be becoming the standard. Unfortunately. > > > > I have had some luck with a hybrid approach using the Sage Notebook > server. That project is no longer active (perhaps due to the success of > Jupyter Notebooks?), but I think you can do something similar with either > Google Colab https://colab.research.google.com or more likely CoCalc > https://cocalc.com/ > > > > Google Collab is just an interface to Jupyter Notebooks. > > > > CoCalc can also just run Jupyter Notebooks, but also lets you have a > full Linux environment, bash shell, ssh, git, etc. I think you may need to > pay for this level of service, but you could then run emacs remotely via > ssh, or locally and use tramp. If the backend is git you may be able to > work locally and sync with the webserver interface to the tools that your > colleagues would see. > > > > I still don't think your colleagues would be directly editing your Org > source though, but you may be able to get close to what you're looking for > on those sites. Good luck, and please do post back here if you come up with > a good solution. > > > > -k. > > > > On 2020-04-16 at 10:22 -07, Prof. Dr. Johanna May > > wrote... > >> Hey there, > >> > >> I've been preparing lecture notes with org-mode and lualatex export > >> that include python diagrams and so on for about more than a year. Now > >> my colleagues and team start to get interested in tweaking the > >> results. Therefore, we would need some kind of online collaboration > >> solution similar to overleaf that can compile the latex including the > >> python (org-babel) inserts. And, obviously, versioning would also come > >> in handy, so that would rather be github / gitlab functionality. > >> > >> Does anyone know of a solution like overleaf that can be used for > >> that? Could you point me at your description of any setup needed? Or, > >> alternatively, do you have some good description of how to set up a > >> server / virtual machine that can do that? (at best including a > >> virtual emacs interface, so not all users have to do all the > >> installations locally)? If so, that description would also interest > >> me. > >> > >> I would like to either use some online platform like overleaf or > >> explain to my university colleagues who already have servers running > >> what they could do for me. > >> > >> The problem is, that the collaboration colleagues are not good friends > >> with coding (they prefer word to latex, excel to python ... until now, > >> at least), so I'm not very inclined to suggest them to start using > >> emacs. I would very much prefer some web-based solution to get them > >> started. Also, such a solution might provide ways of having students > >> contribute smaller bits and pieces without having to go thru the whole > >> learning curve of learning the use of emacs, installing all the tools, > >> etc.pp. Any ideas? > >> > >> Thank you very much! > >> > >> Cheers, > >> > >> J. May > > > -- > Prof. Dr. Johanna May > Stellvertretende Institutsleiterin CIRE > Fakultät für Informations-, Medien- und Elektrotechnik (F07) > Institut für Elektrische Energietechnik (IET) > Cologne Institute for Renewable Energy (CIRE) > Lehrgebiete: Energieeffizienz und Grundlagen Elektrotechnik > > T: +49 221-8275-2697 > M: +49 174 891 9002 > E: johanna.may@th-koeln.de > > Technische Hochschule Köln > Campus Deutz > Betzdorfer Str. 2 > 50679 Köln > Raum: HW2-40 > > www.th-koeln.de >