OK, got it now, thanks! I confirmed everything you said. My takeaway is that instead of using global properties as a single property at the top level, I should create a top-level properties drawer, which will have immediate usability. In the case of my example that would be: C-u C-c C-x d HOURLY_RATE 150 and then HOURLY_RATE is immediately usable in my table, without even having to save the file. On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 11:03 PM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Jeff Trull writes: > > > Yes, I can make it work now - but only after reloading it at least one > time > > from disk. > > > > When I type it in for the first time, it doesn't work. I have to save, > then > > (revert-buffer). > > ... > > Also, if you change the value (say, from 150 to 210) the old value > persists > > until you > > reload the file. Even saving the file doesn't help. > > It is expected and documented. > See 17.8 Summary of In-Buffer Settings section of the manual. > Basically, you need to press C-c C-c on the property line to make Org > refresh the settings. > > Alternatively, you can use document property drawer. It is updated > automatically on the latest development version of Org. > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >