From: Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: orgmod: R and threeparttable
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:06:03 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>wrote:

> Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:
>
> > I do not know if I am expressing myself clearly. The table is being
> > generated by an R source code. We need a way of adding notes to such a
> > table.
>
> There are two different problems:
>
>   1. How to generate "threeparttable" environment using Org syntax and
>      `latex' export back-end.
>   2. How to generate Org syntax specified above from a source block.
>
> At the moment, my only concern is point 1.

Yes, this is right.

> Unfortunately, on such matters, one has to work with the conventions in

> > different disciplines. At least in social sciences, it is usually
> expected
> > that notes are placed below Tables and Figures, and not as part of
> > footnotes, which are reserved for notes to text. At least my
> collaborators
> > and readers frown when I put table sources and notes in the footnotes.
>
> Understood. You didn't answer to my suggestion to use special blocks,
> though.

I do not know how to use special blocks. I will read the manual and see
what can be done with those. I f special blocks cannot give a statisfactory
solution (I do not know), other questions you raise may be relevant in
exploring a better solution.

> If my suggestion to use special blocks doesn't apply, you still need to
> properly define your problem. In particular:
>
> - How table notes are generated? Do you want to hijack footnotes in
>   table to produce them?

- Should note numbers be configurable?

We should be able to add something to #+RESULTS block. I would think that
the natural way would be to specify threeparttable in #+attr_latex. It
would be ideal to put contents of a footer under a separate headline
(tagged noexport) somewhere in the document with a custom_id property. This
custom_id could be specified along with threeparttable in the above
#+attr_latex. Something like the following:

#+attr_latex: threeparttable [[notes_custom_id_1]]
#+RESUlTS:
|x|y|z|
|1|2|2|

* Table notes                                       :noexport:
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: notes_custom_id_1
:END:
+ first note here
+ second note here
+ third note here

- Should "threeparttable" be generated only when table contains at least
>   a note and some global option is set to a non-nil value? Or should
>   a user explicitly write that he requires such an environment for the
>   current table?

I would think threeparttable be generated when you have something like the
above specified in #+attr_latex.

> - Can another environment than "tabular" be used within
>   "threeparttable"?
> - Is the "table" environment around mandatory?
> - ...

I use tabulary inside threeparttable (that is, when I give raw latex code).

The code I used has table environment around it. I am no expert on latex
and I must have put it together using whatever I could find on
threeparttable. I cannot say whether this is mandatory. I am sure other
people on this list would just know this. Otherwise, I can experiment.

I am really stretching my capabilities and knowledge of org. So, please
excuse me, if what I said is nonsensical.

Vikas