I don't know if this is beyond the capabilities of org-mode or not. I'd like to have a block of text repeated multiple times with slight variations. For the sake of the example, a numbered list: 1. this is the first line 1. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value 1. this is the third line When exported, say as ASCII, I'd like this: 1. this is the first line 2. this is the second line with foo as the value 3. this is the third line 1. this is the first line 2. this is the second line with bar as the value 3. this is the third line 1. this is the first line 2. this is the second line with baz as the value 3. this is the third line I'm not sure how to go about this; I assume I'd use org-babel with source blocks that contain org-mode text or elisp or something. Of course if the right answer is I should write a python script to generate my org-mode text, well, that's OK too. :-) -- Gary