Basically, I'd like to know what level each heading of an org file is and in what order they appear. So if my org file looks like this * heading a ** sub-heading a.1 ** sub-heading a.2 *** sub-sub-heading a.2.1 * heading b ** sub-heading b.1 *** sub-sub-heading b.1.1 * heading c And an HTML export creates this 1 heading a 1.1 sub-heading a.1 1.2 sub-heading a.2 1.2.1 sub-sub-heading a.2.1 2 heading b 2.1 sub-heading b.1 2.1.1 sub-sub-heading b.1.1 3 heading c is there a way to capture that prepended export numbering? Actually, I'd like to capture every heading's rank and order and keep it in a PROPERTIES drawer. There's obviously some baked in mechanism doing this for exporting. Is it possible for a mere mortal to know, have? LB