From: Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com>
To: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
Subject: Re: Generate new babel code blocks and/or initialized code/data?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 21:49:17 -0400	[thread overview]

If I evaluate this:

#+name: myfun1
#+begin_src clojure
(defn myfun1
  [ ]
  9)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: myfun1
: #'clojure-noob.core/myfun1

then this

#+begin_src clojure
(inc (myfun1))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 10

I've got the right answer, but I've totally bypassed the :var
functionality. In my elisp example

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var myx=(mylist1)
(mapcar '1+ myx)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

it seems to be as you say, i.e., the function needs to be evaluated, and,
yes, the mylist1 function in parens does the trick. But this

#+begin_src clojure :var i=(myfun1)
(inc i)
#+end_src

produces this in *Messages*:

eval: Symbol’s function definition is void: myfun1

However, this

#+name: myfun1-test2
#+begin_src clojure
(myfun1)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: myfun1-test2
: 9

does finally get seen and evaluated:

#+begin_src clojure :var i=myfun1-test2
(inc i)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 10

But this adds an extra step just to use :var. I'm guessing regular Lisp and
maybe Scheme (geiser) know about var i=(myfun1), . Will test, but I've got
to swap out my .emacs.d first. As far as noweb is concerned, doing
<<myfun1>> doesn't win me anything, does it? It's the same as (myfun1)
above.