From: Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com>
To: Immanuel Litzroth <immanuel.litzroth@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Unhealthy Haskell babel
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 11:21:07 -0600	[thread overview]

I see your point, i.e., compiled, multi-file projects are not really meant
for the REPL-dominant world of org-mode babel. Babel's sweet-spot would be
the interpreted world, the very best probably a Lisp language. Still, the
ability to add code to a running REPL should be possible. As I mentioned,
SML is a sibling of Haskell and its babel implementation worked fine for me
as I worked through an SML course. So yes, this appears to be a Haskell
REPL issue. I'm just a beginner with Haskell, and all my intro texts start
you out using the ghci REPL interactively. But then they switch you over to
a text file compiled in the REPL with :l myfile.hs . . . no explanation as
to why you can't just continue with the REPL putting the program in
line-by-line. The fact that I can use the :set +m to include multiple lines
of code, but cannot do a type definition is rather bizarre, though. This is
a decision Haskell made with their REPL and babel really can't do much
about it, I suppose. The Haskell .lhs literate option is interesting. Yes,
I'd like to see your tangle option, please.