From: Brian van den Broek <brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Has anybody noticed ellipses instead of the top line of the window?
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 20:19:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On 6 December 2012 19:43, Brian van den Broek
<brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2012 13:46, "Samuel Wales" <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Has anybody encountered ellipses instead of the first line of the window?
>>
>> On 8/21/12, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > === beginning of window
>> > ******* Above all
>> > Above all, it is a collapse of the uneasy and corrupt
>
> I have. Haven't noticed a pattern; I always get mildly concerned and often
> am motivated to reassure myself there's be no data loss. Never has been.

Hi all,

I've found one repeatable way to generate these unwanted ellipses.

I have an org file with two top-level headings. The second is small
and containing only a few lines of text. The first is huge and has a
crypt tag and thus is encrypted with org-crypt. (For obvious reasons,
I am unwilling to post the file.)

Steps:

1) Visit the file
2) Call org-decrypt-entry on the crypt heading
3) Follow a link at the top of the crypt tree to a heading deep within
that tree. Ensure that it is not the case that the entire tree is
expanded (decription occurs below)
4) Edit somewhere in the heading
5) Save the file (C-x C-s). This causes the heading to be encrypted again.
6) M-x undo to restore the file to its unencrypted state.
7) Observe that the top of the buffer has the ellipses and all data
before the heading being edited can no longer be seen.

The file looks roughly like:

# -*- buffer-auto-save-file-name: nil; -*-

Two lines of description not in any heading

* vault                         :crypt:

** Quick links

** stuff

** other stuff

** still more stuff

** more stuff still

Each of the various stuff headings (there are plenty more) may have
several layers of descendant headings. In the Quick links heading
there are org links to the most used headings. At step (3) in the
recipe above, I expand the Quick links heading and follow one of the
links there which points to a heading buried within the tree. I hit
TAB to expand that heading. (It has siblings both before and after.)
There is a `...' at the end of the heading when it is expanded. The
ellipses observed at (7) seem to appear either before the heading that
follows the top level tree that I edited (so, right before `more stuff
still' if I edited a tree several layers in `still more stuff' *or*
immediately before all of the body text of the headline that I edited
and taking the place of the subtree headline to which the link that I
followed points. (I've not discerned a pattern, but it seems to depend
upon the expansion state around the edit or the location of the cursor
when I save; I am not sure, though.) Either way, M-x
beginning-of-buffer never takes me past the `...'.

Following the same steps but first ensuring that the entire tree is
fully expanded does not result in the `...'.

I hope both that my description is tolerably clear and that it is some
help in the ellipses bug hunt.

Best,

Brian vdB