* Repeated tasks, but only for a limited period (of time)
@ 2013-03-12 15:06 Rick Hanson
From: Rick Hanson @ 2013-03-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I've already RTFMed for this, but I still don't see how to do the following.

Fact: I can add a repeater to a time stamp (like "+1d") in org-mode so that
a task shows up in my agenda as an every day item.

Question: Can I restrict this repetition to, say, 1 week?

For instance, I have a task I have to perform every day this week, /but
only for this week/.  So if I were to pull up my agenda for this week, I
should see the task posted every day of this week, but if I then hit the
"f" key to go forward a week, I should *not* see that task in this (the
following) week.

This is a not deal-breaker if not possible.  I can just get rid if the task
at the end of the week (but it's state, of course, that I have to keep in
my mind, instead of committing it to the magic of org-mode).

Thanks a lot of any help!  (My apologies if it's in the manual and I missed
it.)

Best, --Rick

* Re: Repeated tasks, but only for a limited period (of time)
@ 2013-03-12 16:58 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2013-03-12 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 March 2013 11:06, Rick Hanson <cryptorick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've already RTFMed for this, but I still don't see how to do the following.
>
> Fact: I can add a repeater to a time stamp (like "+1d") in org-mode so that
> a task shows up in my agenda as an every day item.
>
> Question: Can I restrict this repetition to, say, 1 week?
>
> For instance, I have a task I have to perform every day this week, /but only
> for this week/.  So if I were to pull up my agenda for this week, I should
> see the task posted every day of this week, but if I then hit the "f" key to
> go forward a week, I should *not* see that task in this (the following)
> week.
>
> This is a not deal-breaker if not possible.  I can just get rid if the task
> at the end of the week (but it's state, of course, that I have to keep in my
> mind, instead of committing it to the magic of org-mode).
>
> Thanks a lot of any help!  (My apologies if it's in the manual and I missed
> it.)
>
> Best, --Rick

Hi Rick,

I know of no way to do exactly what you are after. But, for things
like that, I make one headline task and then apply M-x
org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift to get the desired number of
distinct tasks. Perhaps that will suit your needs.

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: Repeated tasks, but only for a limited period (of time)
@ 2013-03-12 17:01 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2013-03-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Instead of using a repeater you can clone the task. Just create the task
the way you like it (with a schedule and a deadline) for the first day and
then call 'M-x org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.  Org-mode will ask you
the number of clones it should create and the time shift. Just specify the
time shift as '1d' and you are done.

--
Darlan

@ 2013-03-12 19:54   ` Rick Hanson
From: Rick Hanson @ 2013-03-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Based your advices, I used org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift for my
application today -- worked like a charm.  Thanks to the both of you!

Best, --Rick

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Brian van den Broek
<brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> I know of no way to do exactly what you are after. But, for things
> like that, I make one headline task and then apply M-x
> org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift to get the desired number of
> distinct tasks. Perhaps that will suit your needs.
>
> Best,
>
> Brian vdB

@ 2013-03-13  8:59     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-13  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Rick,

Rick Hanson <cryptorick@gmail.com> writes:

> Based your advices, I used org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift for my
> application today -- worked like a charm.  Thanks to the both of you!

Yes, that's what the manual advised too.

But I find your request to be useful in another circumstance: when
there is a repeated scheduled item and a deadline.  In that case, the
meaning should be "repeat until the deadline".

You can now achieve this by setting

(setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown
      'repeated-after-deadline)

which translates to: "Skip the agenda scheduled item when it repeats
after the deadline."

This feature is available from master.

Thanks for coming up with this idea and for the clear use-case!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Repeated tasks, but only for a limited period (of time)
@ 2013-03-13 14:42       ` Rick Hanson
From: Rick Hanson @ 2013-03-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)