On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM John Kitchin wrote: > I think this kind of preview is well-suited for external packages. You may be right. > There is a subtle point I ran into with this preview approach though, > and that is what is the backend export you want to see? People expect > one source (org) to export to different backends, and even use one > source to make a PDF and HTML (and maybe others). Now it also possible > to use different citation styles for different backends, and the > backends may use different citation processors (e.g. bib(la)tex or CSL). > I felt this was too complex to try to get right in one package. External > packages could provide any subset of these they want, e.g. the way > https://github.com/andras-simonyi/org-cite-csl-activate does. My opinion > of course. oc-csl-activate uses org-cite-csl--fallback-style-file for the preview style, but also has a org-cite-csl-activate-use-document-style defcustom to optionally override that. A LaTeX preview wouldn't need this. Seems more generally a user would need to be able to specify what the export target is. But I guess per your point, one could do configuration by simply selecting whatever preferred activate processor. So, for example, we could have one for latex preview. > I think the basic CSL styled citation tooltip that is independent of the > final state is a good compromise. The point is to give enough context > about the key to tell you what it is without visiting the source, and if > you need more, you go visit the source (bibtex file, org file, etc.). Indeed. Bruce