I've been using org-mode for a few years. My agenda is cluttered with tasks that are weeks and even months past due. I am "this close" to declaring "orgmode bankruptcy" and starting from scratch, except my current setup works so well for other things. Might still do that, but I want to ask for ideas. I stumble consistently over the distinction between projects and tasks. I think there is not clear distinction, but I need to find a way to organize them so that, at least, agenda displays the day to day TODO tasks separated in a meaningful way from the long term projects that I need to remind myself of (and there are dozens of these). PROJECTS: I can define projects as - an overall series of tasks related to a single purpose - a recurring task (monthly calendars that I need to remind myself to make each month) - an actual project I am working on (writing a proposal, or a research project about a coral, or a recipe database, or reconstructing a LaTeX file tree for a publication ten years ago) TODOS: perhaps tasks could be anything, - bills (marked by tag "bill" - phone calls to make I am starting to understand how I TODOS can be scattered through all my other files. However, the greater the number of agenda files, the greater the clutter. And, as a recent thread called to mind, there are times when the list of agenda files prevents me from searching for tags or todos. SO where is the happy medium? Some thoughts: - I tried to write a custom agenda command that defined the agenda files to encompass all *org files in a directory. This actually set the agenda-files variable to all files for the rest of the session, so I gave that idea up----although I know it's possible to do it. - Again, the number of agenda files seems to be constraining. - There seem to be issues between defining the agenda files explicitly, or adding them one at a time. - It would be useful if agenda searches automatically picked up the recent files I had worked on during the session, however, in as streamlined a way as possible. I don't need to be reminded everyday that I have to organize bibliographic references for my next trip to the library, but I have to have a way to keep these organized to jog my memory in planning my time in some loose sense. I do need to have a list of bills that I can access without having to sort through the list of projects that are 3 months overdue. Almost every week I have new insights into how to use tags, so perhaps I need to junk alot of the tags I set up long ago. These thoughts are somewhat disconnected, and I apologize for this. And I would be grateful for any comments that would shed light on how to solve these issues. Alan Davis