Your thoughtful, incisive responses are appreciated. It's hard to imagine why that simple expedient---a directory listing with a comment field---has failed to catch hold. It was incredibly useful. Thanks Alan Davis On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote: > "Alan E. Davis" writes: > > > I am looking for something a little different than this: annotated ls > > listings. I have been searching blindly for years for this. > > > > Back in the 90s was a Dos clone called 4dos, which featured directory > > listings with annotations, such that typing whatever the command was > > (dir?), gave a listing with the file name just like "dir" but also a > > description of the file. > > > > It was exceedingly useful for me, in keeping track of a large number > > of files. I have never seen anything like it. > > > > Could org-annotate fulfill at least part of this requirement? (I have > > posted to this list a similar question quite some years ago.) > > org-annotate could do the annotation part of it, but really that part > pales compared to the challenge of creating and maintaining directory > listings in Org. Doing it once would be easy, but tracking > additions/deletions/renames in the directory sounds like a *lot* of > work, not to mention making sure the annotations follow the correct > entry. > > I suppose if you *only* edited the directory listing through custom > commands you implement from Org mode you could keep it under control, > but still... Some challenges energize you when you start imaging how to > solve them. Others make you exhausted just thinking about them! > > Eric > > > -- [I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. …The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think. ---Albert Einstein "Sweet instruments hung up in cases. . . keep their sounds to themselves." ---Shakespeare, _Timon of Athens_