I have just spent an hour trying to figure out what's going on with ELPA, GNU ELPA, NONGNU ELPA packages. I am lost. A plethora of methods exist for installing org-mode and other packages; it is unnecessary to list them, even if I could. I've been using Emacs and Org-mode for many years. I am not interested in spending an hour of my time to learn a new way to install something that has been working well for me. I may not use org-mode with the facility of a programmer who can whip off a quick utility in emacs lisp, but I have come to depend on the basic tools as a core of my work flow. I have tried "use package", but I would prefer something straightforward, like just list-packages then install. I don't understand how to set up my init file (dot emacs) for various package repos. It was working, that's all I needed. Now I get a 5 second delay each time I use org-mode. I cannot seem to find the information I need to fix this. On reddit, on emacs wiki, on this list, I cannot find the magic search term. I see advice like "the maintainer has written a very clear explanation of the issue" but,this very clear explanation does not help me understand what I need to do. I guess I need a formula, but I have cut and pasted two or three different things into the top of my .init file. Perhaps I need to start again, but my .init file has been taking root for nearly 30 years; it's burned into my muscle memory. I hope I will never have to write another email like this to get help for something that should be simple. Maybe I will now have to install from git. I think I am already too far out at sea to abandon the packages approach. I guess it serves me right for stepping off the beach. Alan Davis -- "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we *should be glad of an opportunity to serve others* by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." ---Benjamin Franklin "This ignorance about the limits of the earth's ability to absorb pollutants should be reason enough for caution in the release of polluting substances." ---Meadows et al. 1972. Limits to Growth . (p. 81)