Eric, You already mentioned your mappings in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-05/msg00153.html Thanks! Finally got myself to write a little lisp to solve my problem and mapped it to go For what it's worth, here it is (but it solves a very specific problem): (defun guivho-insert-topic-under-heading() "Expand heading and insert hyphen and inactive timestamp. Cursor is expected to be in an org header line" (interactive) (let ((sp " ") (hyphen "-")) (org-end-of-line) (evil-append 1) (org-return) (insert hyphen sp) (org-time-stamp nil t) (insert sp) (evil-force-normal-state) (evil-append 0))) This now always inserts a 'dash space timestamp space' line immediately under the current org header, whether it was collapsed or not. Hey, it's not beautiful, but it solves my problem :) And, to whom it may concern, org and evil make a nice combo :) Guido On 30 March 2017 at 12:14, Guido Van Hoecke wrote: > > > Eric, > > Care to share your org-evil mappings? > > One 'conflict' which bites me every time is this: > > I hit /blabla to locate a heading directly under which I want to insert a > text line. > > I then hit enter to acknowledge the find. > > The display shows the heading line followed by its body lines (which all > start with a hyphen) > > I then hit o to insert a line directly under the heading and before the > first existing detail line. > > The result is however that the heading body closes, and that a line is > added before the next header line, so under all existing detail lines of > this header line. > > This undesired behavior only happens if the heading was closed at the time > of the find. If the find locates an open heading, hitting enter and than o > behaves as expected. > > Any suggestions on how this can be fixed would be most welcome :) > > TIA, > > Guido > > On 29 March 2017 at 17:11, Eric S Fraga wrote: > >> On Tuesday, 28 Mar 2017 at 12:57, Matt Price wrote: >> > I've never used Vim but I see a lot of people online raving about evil >> > mode and how much they love it. I'm considering giving it a whirl >> > after the semester ends & I get some free time. I just wondered >> > whether any heavy org users here on the list use evil, and if so, >> > whether you see pain points within org-mode -- my setup is pretty >> > heavily customized, for instance, and I wonder whether that means it >> > will be quite painful to use evil. >> >> I use evil and org all day long. Basically, there is very little clash >> between them so they co-exist very nicely. One of the best things about >> evil is that it is almost orthogonal to emacs and you can continue using >> most C-x and C-c keymap bindings. >> >> In my case, I did add a number of bindings to evil's normal and motion >> keymaps to avoid typing C-c etc. as my motivation in using evil is to >> avoid exacerbating my RSI. Almost all my commands are non-chorded key >> sequences. I barely use the control, shift and meta keys in normal >> use. >> >> -- >> : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.1, Org release_9.0.5-391-g36c7cf >> > >