On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Rasmus wrote: > This is exactly the reasons why I don't want to use csquotes: > > \enquote{something}. > I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting the syntax is bad? But check for instance org-latex-tables-booktabs, which makes optional > support for booktabs. That kind of support for csquote is of course > OK. One reason I'd not use this is that the quotes exported to HTML > and LaTeX are no longer in sync. Which is why I'd rather see > customization through a user smart quote alist. > Okay, that's a fair argument. It would require consistent configuration in more than one place, unless (I think?) Org's LaTeX export automagically use/configure Babel. > > > I think it would make sense to support this for org, and perhaps > >> eventually > >> > make it default behavior. FWIW: I had no idea about this until it bit > me > >> > when my LaTeX document suddenly had bogus quotes in it. > >> > >> This has never happened to me, despite extensive usage of LaTeX for > >> almost ten years. > >> > > > > This is a fairly new occurrence, and it is not true for all LaTeXes > > currently available. The motivation is the one that I have given above: > > See below. > > > quotations are language-specific and semantic markup is preferable. > > Org already has semantic quote characters, namely '"' and "'". > Right: I'm talking about TeX and not org-mode there. The semantic way to say "this is quoted" is csquotes and \enquote. Are those code points U+0022 QUOTATION MARK and U+0027 APOSTROPHE? (I am not an org-mode expert. I'm assuming org-mode does operate on code points, not bytes?) \documentclass{article} > \usepackage{fontspec} > \addfontfeatures{Mapping=} > \addfontfeatures{Ligatures=} > \begin{document} > ``test'' > \end{document} > > Could you share a snip that reproduces your problem? > That appears to compile correctly on my machine as well. Perhaps there is a discrepancy between how I'm building the tex file and how org is building the intermediary tex file. I will investigate :) thanks again lvh