Still running into this issue often, but I tried some techniques others have recommended to debug other issues: Summary: Pressing TAB in an org-mode sql src block opens the src in a background buffer and locks the src block - Behavior not reproducible when using emacs -Q - Behavior not reproducible when running emacs in terminal with emacs -nw Suggests behavior is not directly associated with org-babel as originally thought. Not sure where to look yet to continue though. Is there a way to capture all functions called when reproducing the behavior in the GUI? Is anyone able to reproduce the behavior as a quick sanity check? On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:38 AM Jay Zawrotny wrote: > Hi Org ML, > > I hope this is the right place. If not please let me know where I should > surface this 😅 > > *Issue:* > > If I press TAB while the cursor is in a sql src block, it opens the code > in a new buffer in the background. Kind of like pressing C-C C-' > (org-edit-special) but silently. It's frustrating because it prevents me > from editing it until I find the buffer or use org-edit-special. > > *Reproduction:* > > 1. Create an org-mode buffer > 2. Add at least one headline > 3. Create a sql source block (sample below) > 4. Put the cursor on the "S" of the "SELECT" statement > 5. Press TAB > > > *Expected:* > > Indents using either native sql-mode or sql-indent-mode if installed. > > *Actual:* > > Highlights the SQL src, opens it in a new buffer in the background, and I > can't edit the source. > > *Notes:* > > If I use M-x org-cycle directly this behavior also occurs. If I call > indent-for-tab-command on the SQL sample the behavior also occurs, but I > can nil-out the body of that function using the REPL and the behavior still > occurs. This does not happen when using TAB in a bash src block. This does > not happen in a sql-mode buffer which is why I currently suspect it to be > org-babel sql specific. > > GIF reproducing behavior below > > [image: 2020-10-06 23.13.44.gif] > > I appreciate any help debugging this, or even links to docs to help me > learn how to debug it. > > Thanks, > J >