* bug#32722:  bug#32722:  bug#32722:  bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
       [not found]                 ` <83efdqg32d.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2018-09-18 18:53                   ` Robert Klein
       [not found]                   ` <20180918205329.2e12c16f@happy.intern.roklein.de>
       [not found]                   ` <vain32bksv.fsf_-_@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: n, kaushal.modi, 32722, rjhorniii, rms

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 19:53:14 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Robert Horn <rjhorn@panix.com>
> > Cc: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>, Eli Zaretskii
> > <eliz@gnu.org>, kaushal.modi@gmail.com, 32722@debbugs.gnu.org,
> > rms@gnu.org Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 12:37:45 -0400
> >
> > /* from RMS email later in thread
> > To motivate people to do this, I say we shouild not ship another
> > release with that reference to GitHub.  Eli, do you agree?
> > */
> >
> > This makes it clearly the reference to Github that is the concern.
>
> We have quite a few references to GitHub in Emacs, just grep for it.

That's, what the original message on the bug list refers to, however.

I think the original bug report is bogus.  Especially in view of your
statement above.

As already pointed out by Nicolas Goaziou, org-mode also requires other
external stuff (just as htmlfontify does, see my mail and its manual:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/htmlfontify.html#Requirements).

The reason, e.g. LaTeX isn't mentioned explicitly in the manual or in
org is that it is a well-known software.  The link is only given as a
friendly hint.

Also, in regards to the original bug report, while htmlize is _hosted_
on github, which indeed is not free, htmlize itself _is_ free.  Right
at the beginning of htmlize.el it says:

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

When the original poster doesn't want to use htmlize, he probably
should try to export without fontifying source code (I think there's a
switch, but I'm not sure).

Best regards
Robert

@ 2018-09-18 18:57                     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-09-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: n, Eli Zaretskii, 32722, rjhorniii, Richard Stallman

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM Robert Klein <roklein@roklein.de> wrote:

> When the original poster doesn't want to use htmlize, he probably
> should try to export without fontifying source code (I think there's a
> switch, but I'm not sure).

Setting org-html-htmlize-output-type to nil will not prompt the user
to install htmlize. With that setting, code blocks will not be
htmlized, and instead just exported as plain text.

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-09-18 19:29                       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-09-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman, emacs-org list, Nicolas Goaziou
  Cc: n, Robert Klein, rjhorniii, 32722

Hello all,

I heard back from htmlize.el author Hrvoje Nikšić in his repo's issue thread[0].

So here's the summary:

- Hrvoje Nikšić does not want to assign the copyright of htmlize to
FSF. So it cannot be part of Emacs, Org mode or even GNU Elpa.
- The package will keep living in its GitHub repo.

1. If user has issues with GitHub's non-free JS:

- Download htmlize directly from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hniksic/emacs-htmlize/master/htmlize.el.

2. If user does not want to use htmlize, or want Org mode to suggest
installing it from GitHub, set org-html-htmlize-output-type to nil.

Note that the htmlize.el package by itself is GPLv2, so it is free.

Does this settle the issue?

[0]: https://github.com/hniksic/emacs-htmlize/issues/23

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-09-19  3:39                         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-19  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: n, rjhorniii, emacs-orgmode, 32722, eliz, roklein

  > I heard back from htmlize.el author Hrvoje Nikšić in his repo's issue thread[0].

Thanks for asking him.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-19  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: n, eliz, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

  > As already pointed out by Nicolas Goaziou, org-mode also requires other
  > external stuff

Those other cases may or may not be problems, depending on the situation.

The ability to work with some other free software package (for
instance, LaTeX0, if the user happens to use that, is no problem at all.

Invoking some separate program, having no particular relationship
with Emacs, is ok too if the idea is that that program does some
separate job and that's what the user wants to do.

However, Emacs should not try to bypass the distro's own package
installation system by telling users to install things directly.

Would you please show me the other cases where Org suggests

Dr Richard Stallman

* bug#32722:  bug#32722:  bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
       [not found]                           ` <83h8ikenbc.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2018-09-20  8:13                             ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rgm, n, rms, amin, 32722, rjhorniii, Kaushal Modi

Hi,
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:43:19 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:16:28 -0400
> > Cc: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>, Glenn Morris
> > <rgm@gnu.org>, n@flqt.fr, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
> > 32722@debbugs.gnu.org, Robert Horn <rjhorniii@gmail.com>, Eli
> > Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> >
> > I got approval from Hrvoje Nikšić that he was fine with your
> > mirror[0].
> >
> > So I believe it should be OK reference that mirror repo in
> > ox-html?
>
> I think we could do better by using htmlfontify.el.  I asked a few
> questions about that in this discussion, see
>
>   https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32722#95
>
> Would the Org developers please reply to those questions?  If indeed
> it is not hard to adapt htmlfontify to be used by Org, then I think
> it's a better solution.

Not an “Org developer” -- I guess mostly Nicolas Goaziou can claim that
title at the moment with two thirds of all commits last year..

As to your questions:

> This should be very easy to fix, by using temporary buffers with a
> copy of the region to produce HTML for.  Right?

plus removing HTML document headers and footers, remove css stuff,
rework this, so we have css to include in the final document...

> > Additionally htmlfontify also requires several external tools
> > (according to the man page) which might not be available on all
> > platform Emacs and org-mode is used on:
> >
> > - a copy of “find” which provides the “-path” predicate
> > - a copy of “sed”
> > - a copy of the “file” command
>
> These are only needed if one invokes htmlfontify-copy-and-link-dir to
> produce HTML for files in a directory.  Is that an important use case
> for the issue at hand?  E.g., if you need to produce HTML for a region
> of a buffer, these facilities seem to not be relevant, AFAIU.  Did I
> miss something?

No. At that moment in the discussion it wasn't clear the issue with htmlize (and github) has been seen fundamentally different by non-org people as opposed to people developing and using org-mode.

> > A switch to htmlfontify might end up in rewriting a good part of
> > htmlfontify or some very ugly hacks.
>
> I wonder whether we could begin by just supporting the immediate use
> case(s) in point, maybe that is possible without too much rewriting.

See above.

> > If Hrvoje Niksic has or is willing to sign the copyright assignment
> > documents it will be easier to put htmlize.el into Emacs.
>
> We've been through this several times in the past: it isn't going to
> happen.  I think htmlfontify was added to Emacs for that rteason,
> among others.

Sorry, didn't know there's a history.

Best regards
Robert

* bug#32722:  bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
       [not found]                           ` <E1g2oAo-0000ao-2k@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2018-09-20 10:43                             ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]                             ` <CAN+qofnbqV8MT0wmKNokXv0S8f9PnXcpK1RdsH-8Zb2i8ckNPw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2018-09-20 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: n, amin, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 2:57 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> The deep problem with the reference to htmlize is that it
> blurs the distinction between Emacs itself
> and Lisp code that is not part of Emacs.
> We need to highlight that distinction, not blur it.

There are a handful of references to MELPA inside Emacs.  Are these to
be discouraged?  If not, htmlize is on MELPA and could be referenced
there.

@ 2018-09-21  2:13                               ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]                                 ` <m2zhwbup3a.fsf@dhcp-90-218.inf.ed.ac.uk>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-21  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Corneli; +Cc: n, amin, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

  > There are a handful of references to MELPA inside Emacs.  Are these to
  > be discouraged?

The question is rather broad, so I can only say "it depends".  Whether
a reference to software outside Emacs is good or bad depends on its
semantics -- that is, on what it says _about_ the software that it
references -- and on circumstances.

Here's a general answer in terms of rules and circumstances.

The first question is, does the references tend to encourage,
recommend, or lead users to install and use some outside software?  If
it doesn't, there isn't an issue.  In that case, it would normally be a
comment in the code, not a message shown to the Emacs user.

If it does tend to lead users to install some program, the next
question is, is that program free?  If not, it may be a moral problem,
but that depends.  If the code encourages uses of Emacs by users of
widely used nonfree program Foo, that's ok.  If the code encourages
use of nonfree program Foo by users of Emacs, that's bad, so we should
remove the message _and_ the code immediately.

If the other program is free, the next question is, should this job be
done by part of Emacs, or should it be separate?

If logically it should be a separate program, such as find, GCC or
LaTeX, then it is fine to encourage Emacs users to install it and for
Emacs to invoke it.

If logically it should be part of Emacs, we should arrange to do the
job with code that IS part of Emacs.  We could do that by merging the
program into Emacs, or packaging it with Emacs, if those are possible.
Or we could do it by writing new code.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* bug#32722:  bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-09-21 10:22                                 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]                                 ` <m2zhwbup3a.fsf@dhcp-90-218.inf.ed.ac.uk>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2018-09-21 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: n, amin, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

On Fri, Sep 21 2018, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > There are a handful of references to MELPA inside Emacs.  Are these to
>   > be discouraged?
>
> The question is rather broad, so I can only say "it depends".  Whether
> a reference to software outside Emacs is good or bad depends on its
> semantics -- that is, on what it says _about_ the software that it
> references -- and on circumstances.
>
> Here's a general answer in terms of rules and circumstances.

Thank you for the thorough answer.

I've checked, and currently all of the references to MELPA tend to
encourage interested users to install outside, free, software.

> If logically it should be part of Emacs, we should arrange to do the
> job with code that IS part of Emacs.

At the moment the only *possible* example for this category that I found
among the references to code on MELPA is BBDB -- but I assume that
there's a longstanding decision that BBDB is best kept separate.

(And back to the main theme it seems clear that what htmlize does should
logically be part of Emacs.)

* bug#32722:  bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-09-21 19:21                         ` Leslie Watter
       [not found]                         ` <CAKoz4gnvbc1tTGW57c_7cVN0gF2KrgAjYRT+kwp29fMOYX3RCA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Leslie Watter @ 2018-09-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: n, 32722, right.ho, kaushal.modi

Hello all,

Just a little information:  since Dropbox update their API to 2.0
MobileOrg with this backend stopped to work, so anyone willing to use it
will have
to use either WebDAV, SSH or Local filesystem. AFAIK, there's no active
development of MobileOrg
in terms of having this issue [0] solved.

Updating the software could help more than just forking it and publishing
it with another name.  There's
some options (Orgzly, Syncthing) that can be used but none of them are as
usefull as MobileOrg.

So, if anyone could contact Matthew Jones (https://github.com/matburt) and
offer some help
I think that could be a better approach than just forking it. Unfortunately
I cannot help at this point.

Cheers,

LEslie

[0] - https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/501

--
Leslie H. Watter

@ 2018-09-22  1:52                                   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-22  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Corneli; +Cc: n, amin, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

  > I've checked, and currently all of the references to MELPA tend to
  > encourage interested users to install outside, free, software.

Could you tell me about these, one by one, off the list?
(First, roughly how many are there?)

--
Dr Richard Stallman

@ 2018-09-23  1:38                           ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]                           ` <E1g3tLf-0003Es-KN@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-23  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leslie; +Cc: n, 32722, right.ho, kaushal.modi

  > Just a little information:  since Dropbox update their API to 2.0
  > MobileOrg with this backend stopped to work, so anyone willing to use it
  > will have
  > to use either WebDAV, SSH or Local filesystem. AFAIK, there's no active
  > development of MobileOrg
  > in terms of having this issue [0] solved.

This is actually good news.  It means Android MobileOrg is almost ok.
If someone wants to do a little work on Android MobileOrg, so it could
go into f-droid, we could recommend its use.  But the doc should be
updated.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

@ 2018-09-25 23:04                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-25 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: n, eliz, 32722, rjhorniii, kaushal.modi

[I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.
Could we get the discussion moving again?]

@ 2018-09-29 14:53                             ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]                             ` <87mus0z773.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-09-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: 32722, n, right.ho, kaushal.modi

Hello,

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> This is actually good news.  It means Android MobileOrg is almost ok.
> If someone wants to do a little work on Android MobileOrg, so it could
> go into f-droid, we could recommend its use.  But the doc should be
> updated.

For the record, I rewrote the section about Org Mobile in the manual.
This removed all instances of "MobileOrg" and "Dropbox". Here it is in
its full glory (please ignore the broken links, which refer to other
parts in the Org manual):

                       ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                               ORG MOBILE
                              Release 9.2

                        The Org Mode Developers
                       ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Table of Contents
─────────────────

1. Setting up the staging area
2. Pushing to the mobile application
3. Pulling from the mobile application

Org Mobile is a protocol for synchronizing Org files between Emacs and
other applications, e.g., on mobile devices. It enables offline-views
and capture support for an Org mode system that is rooted on a “real”
computer. The external application can also record changes to existing
entries.

This appendix describes Org’s support for agenda view formats compatible
with Org Mobile. It also describes synchronizing changes, such as to
notes, between the mobile application and the computer.

To change tags and TODO states in the mobile application, first
customize the variables `org-todo-keywords' and `org-tag-alist'. These
should cover all the important tags and TODO keywords, even if Org files
use only some of them. Though the mobile application is expected to
support in-buffer settings, it is required to understand TODO states
/sets/ (see [BROKEN LINK: *Setting up keywords for individual files])
and /mutually exclusive/ tags (see [BROKEN LINK: *Setting Tags]) only
for those set in these variables.

1 Setting up the staging area
═════════════════════════════

  The mobile application needs access to a file directory on a server[1]
  to interact with Emacs. Pass its location through the
  `org-mobile-directory' variable. If you can mount that directory
  locally just set the variable to point to that directory:

  ┌────
  │ (setq org-mobile-directory "~/orgmobile/")
  └────

  Alternatively, by using TRAMP (see [TRAMP User Manual]),
  `org-mobile-directory' may point to a remote directory accessible
  through, for example, SSH and SCP:

  ┌────
  │ (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@remote.host:org/webdav/")
  └────

  With a public server, consider encrypting the files. Org also requires
  OpenSSL installed on the local computer. To turn on encryption, set
  the same password in the mobile application and in Emacs. Set the
  password in the variable `org-mobile-use-encryption'[2]. Note that
  even after the mobile application encrypts the file contents, the file
  name remains visible on the file systems of the local computer, the
  server, and the mobile device.

[TRAMP User Manual] <info:tramp>

2 Pushing to the mobile application
═══════════════════════════════════

  The command `org-mobile-push' copies files listed in
  `org-mobile-files' into the staging area. Files include agenda files
  (as listed in `org-agenda-files'). Customize `org-mobile-files' to add
  other files. File names are staged with paths relative to
  `org-directory', so all files should be inside this directory[3].

  Push creates a special Org file `agendas.org' with custom agenda views
  defined by the user[4].

  Finally, Org writes the file `index.org', containing links to other
  files. The mobile application reads this file first from the server to
  determine what other files to download for agendas. For faster
  downloads, it is expected to only read files whose checksums[5] have
  changed.

3 Pulling from the mobile application
═════════════════════════════════════

  The command `org-mobile-pull' synchronizes changes with the server.
  More specifically, it first pulls the Org files for viewing. It then
  appends captured entries and pointers to flagged or changed entries to
  the file `mobileorg.org' on the server. Org ultimately integrates its
  data in an inbox file format, through the following steps:

  1. Org moves all entries found in `mobileorg.org'[6] and appends them
     to the file pointed to by the variable `org-mobile-inbox-for-pull'.
     It should reside neither in the staging area nor on the server. Each
     captured entry and each editing event is a top-level entry in the
     inbox file.

  2. After moving the entries, Org processes changes to the shared files.
     Some of them are applied directly and without user interaction.
     Examples include changes to tags, TODO state, headline and body
     text. Entries requiring further action are tagged as `FLAGGED'. Org
     marks entries with problems with an error message in the inbox. They
     have to be resolved manually.

  3. Org generates an agenda view for flagged entries for user
     intervention to clean up. For notes stored in flagged entries, Org
     displays them in the echo area when point is on the corresponding
     agenda item.

     ?
           Pressing ? displays the entire flagged note in another
           window. Org also pushes it to the kill ring. To store flagged
           note as a normal note, use ? z C-y C-c C-c. Pressing ? twice
           does these things: first it removes the `FLAGGED' tag;
           second, it removes the flagged note from the property drawer;
           third, it signals that manual editing of the flagged entry is
           now finished.

  From the agenda dispatcher, ? returns to the view to finish processing
  flagged entries. Note that these entries may not be the most recent
  since the mobile application searches files that were last pulled. To
  get an updated agenda view with changes since the last pull, pull
  again.

Footnotes
─────────

[1] For a server to host files, consider using a WebDAV server, such
as [Nextcloud] (<https://nextcloud.com>). Additional help is at this
[FAQ entry]
(<https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mobileorg_webdav>).

[2] If Emacs is configured for safe storing of passwords, then
configure the variable `org-mobile-encryption-password'; please read
the docstring of that variable.

[3] Symbolic links in `org-directory' need to have the same name as
their targets.

[4] While creating the agendas, Org mode forces ID properties on all
referenced entries, so that these entries can be uniquely identified
if Org Mobile flags them for further action. To avoid setting
properties configure the variable
`org-mobile-force-id-on-agenda-items' to `nil'. Org mode then relies
on outline paths, assuming they are unique.

[5] Checksums are stored automatically in the file `checksums.dat'.

[6] The file will be empty after this operation.

I also used CTAN URL for the minted LaTeX package.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2018-09-29 15:09                               ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                               ` <83in2o5oi3.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-09-29 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: n, rms, right.ho, 32722, kaushal.modi

> From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 16:53:04 +0200
> Cc: 32722@debbugs.gnu.org, n@flqt.fr, leslie@watter.net, right.ho@gmail.com,
> 	kaushal.modi@gmail.com
>
> > This is actually good news.  It means Android MobileOrg is almost ok.
> > If someone wants to do a little work on Android MobileOrg, so it could
> > go into f-droid, we could recommend its use.  But the doc should be
> > updated.
>
> For the record, I rewrote the section about Org Mobile in the manual.
> This removed all instances of "MobileOrg" and "Dropbox".

Thank you.  Can we have this change on the ermacs-26 branch of Emacs,
please?

@ 2018-09-29 18:33                                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-09-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: n, rms, right.ho, Rasmus, kaushal.modi, 32722

Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Thank you.  Can we have this change on the ermacs-26 branch of Emacs,
> please?

I don't have access to the Emacs repository.

You can either give me write access there, or I can send you the Texinfo
@node contents, or someone with write access could do it for us. I'm
Cc'ing Rasmus for the last option.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-09-29 18:58                                   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-09-29 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: n, rms, right.ho, rasmus, kaushal.modi, 32722

> From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  32722@debbugs.gnu.org,  n@flqt.fr,  leslie@watter.net,  right.ho@gmail.com,  kaushal.modi@gmail.com, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 20:33:35 +0200
>
> > Thank you.  Can we have this change on the ermacs-26 branch of Emacs,
> > please?
>
> I don't have access to the Emacs repository.
>
> You can either give me write access there, or I can send you the Texinfo
> @node contents, or someone with write access could do it for us. I'm
> Cc'ing Rasmus for the last option.

I could install a patch that you produced from the Org repository's
appropriate branch.

Thanks.

@ 2018-09-30  9:27                               ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]                                 ` <87r2giz5ey.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-09-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: n, Richard Stallman, right.ho, 32722, kaushal.modi

> Hello,

Hi Nicolas,

> 1 Setting up the staging area
> ═════════════════════════════
>
>   The mobile application needs access to a file directory on a server[1]
>
>   Alternatively, by using TRAMP (see [TRAMP User Manual]),
>   `org-mobile-directory' may point to a remote directory accessible
>   through, for example, SSH and SCP:
>
>   ┌────
>   │ (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@remote.host:org/webdav/")
>   └────
>
> [1] For a server to host files, consider using a WebDAV server, such
> as [Nextcloud] (<https://nextcloud.com>).

Not every WebDAV server will support an ssh connection. On GNU/Linux
systems, Tramp supports also the connection methods "dav", "davs", and
"nextcloud" (this one since Emacs 27). Maybe it is worth to mention this.

> Regards,

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-10-22  9:39                                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]                                 ` <87r2giz5ey.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-22  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: n, Richard Stallman, right.ho, kaushal.modi, 32722

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>>   Alternatively, by using TRAMP (see [TRAMP User Manual]),
>>   `org-mobile-directory' may point to a remote directory accessible
>>   through, for example, SSH and SCP:
>>
>>   ┌────
>>   │ (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@remote.host:org/webdav/")
>>   └────
>>
>> [1] For a server to host files, consider using a WebDAV server, such
>> as [Nextcloud] (<https://nextcloud.com>).
>
> Not every WebDAV server will support an ssh connection. On GNU/Linux
> systems, Tramp supports also the connection methods "dav", "davs", and
> "nextcloud" (this one since Emacs 27). Maybe it is worth to mention
> this.

Sure. How about this?

    Alternatively, by using TRAMP (see [TRAMP User Manual]),
    `org-mobile-directory' may point to a remote directory accessible
    through, for example, SSH, SCP, or DAVS:

      (setq org-mobile-directory "/davs:/user@remote.host:org/webdav/")

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2018-10-22 11:07                                   ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]                                   ` <871s8is0i6.fsf@gmx.de>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-10-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: n, Richard Stallman, right.ho, kaushal.modi, 32722

> Hello,

Hi Nicolas,

>     Alternatively, by using TRAMP (see [TRAMP User Manual]),
>     `org-mobile-directory' may point to a remote directory accessible
>     through, for example, SSH, SCP, or DAVS:
>
>       (setq org-mobile-directory "/davs:/user@remote.host:org/webdav/")

Pls use (setq org-mobile-directory "/davs:user@remote.host.org:/webdav/")
Otherwise, LGTM.

> Regards,

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2018-10-22 13:17                                     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-22 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: n, Richard Stallman, right.ho, kaushal.modi, 32722

> Pls use (setq org-mobile-directory "/davs:user@remote.host.org:/webdav/")
> Otherwise, LGTM.

Done. Thank you.

* bug#32722:  bug#32722:  bug#32722:  bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-12-03 10:22 Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-12-03 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-org list

 > As already pointed out by Nicolas Goaziou, org-mode also requires other
 > external stuff

A data point.

Ditaa requires a JRE as mentioned at

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html

The litigious terms are

  ditaa version 0.9, Copyright (C) 2004--2009  Efstathios (Stathis) Sideris

I didn’t find ditaa.jar in org-mode’s contrib/scripts as claimed.

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-12-03 13:37 ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2018-12-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 5:28 AM Van L <van@scratch.space> wrote:

>  > As already pointed out by Nicolas Goaziou, org-mode also requires other
>  > external stuff
>
> A data point.
>
> Ditaa requires a JRE as mentioned at
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html
>
> The litigious terms are
>
>   ditaa version 0.9, Copyright (C) 2004--2009  Efstathios (Stathis) Sideris
>
> I didn’t find ditaa.jar in org-mode’s contrib/scripts as claimed.

I can't speak for why it is/isn't in the contrib/scripts directory, but if
you go to Github
for the most up to date version it is GPLv3
https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa/blob/master/LICENSE

Regards,
Jon

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-12-04  9:41   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-12-04  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> go to Github
> for the most up to date version it is GPLv3
> https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa/blob/master/LICENSE

The official-looking site sends you to SourceForge. Git and Svn repo functions are available there.

At the time, the git part of it was empty. Building the 131K jar required the JDK on top the JRE, and, an IDE on top of that to press the Play button to build.

Perhaps, org-mode can lean in toward extensions that are Free/Open/C/ELisp where possible. In this case, for a little bit of the GIMP to convert ASCII art to SVG or GIF image. The GIMP’s Script-Fu is a kind of Lisp.

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-12-05  0:31   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-12-05  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: van, emacs-orgmode

  > you go to Github
  > for the most up to date version it is GPLv3
  > https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa/blob/master/LICENSE

This is an illustration of the confused and harmful license practices
that Github has encouraged.  That file does not tell us how the code
is licensed.  It could be under GPL version 3 only, or GPL version
3-or-later.  This is a crucial question.

MAYBE something else in the package will say.  Or maybe not.

The proper way to use the GPL is to put a license notice in each
source file, which would give the answer to this question.  However,
Github has taught people not to bother with this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?
@ 2018-12-05 11:54     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-12-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jonathan Leech-Pepin

>> you go to Github
>> for the most up to date version it is GPLv3
>> https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> That file does not tell us how the code is licensed.

> It could be under GPL version 3 only, or GPL version
> 3-or-later.

> The proper way to use the GPL is to put a license notice in each
> source file, which would give the answer to this question.

CC has a mechanism to help choose,
apply the license aligned to intent.

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work