Hello, and thank you for org-mode! I ran into an issue yesterday when I turned on org-indent-mode and then tried to disable org-hide-leading-stars. I ended up going on a bit of a chase to figure out what was going on. I had just switched to a new config, and thought that might be the problem, so I filed an issue there. It has some more details if you'd like to take a look: https://github.com/MatthewZMD/.emacs.d/issues/28 Anyways, the buffer-local variables that org-indent creates made this a little confusing to figure out. I ended up solving it by setting org-indent-mode-turns-in-hiding-stars to nil, but that took some time to figure out because the documentation here suggests that I only needed to set org-hide-leading-stars to nil: https://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html I just wanted to suggest that the documentation be updated to mention the buffer-local variables and how to work around org-indent's default behavior. These two lines solved it for me, and I'm sure other star-loving org users will want the full story on how to set this up properly: (setq org-hide-leading-stars nil) (setq org-indent-mode-turns-in-hiding-stars nil) Thank you again! Neil