Hi Ihor, The hook that is going wrong is pdf-tools-enable-minor-modes. After digging into it, there seems to be a whole bunch of problematic minor modes. My methodology wasn't super rigorous, but what I found was > pdf-misc-context-menu-minor-mode > pdf-misc-size-indication-minor-mode > pdf-misc-menu-bar-minor-mode > pdf-misc-minor-mode cause problems every time the pdf is loaded, and > pdf-links-minor-mode > pdf-outline-minor-mode > pdf-annot-minor-mode cause problems every *other* time the pdf is loaded. I found a couple of workarounds: adding (org-reload) to my init.el (actually config.el as I'm running doom emacs) solves the problem, though it does add another second to my load time. Alternatively, I was able to load the first set of minor modes without issue by using doom's (after! pdf-tools ...). This didn't seem to work for the latter minor modes though. Cheers, Sam On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 05:01, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Samuel Crawford writes: > > > Every time I try to open a particular pdf I'm inundated with "Org parser > > error"s, all looking like this: > > > >> Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Org parser error in > > thesis.pdf::316345. Resetting. > >> The error was: (error "rx ‘**’ range error") > > > > Is there any way I can disable org-element-cache on pdfs as a > > workaround? > > AFAIU, something is calling org-mode function outside of org-mode (which > is wrong, even though it could work by accident in earlier versions of > Org). Can you check your hooks ran when you load the problematic pdf? > > Best, > Ihor >