* heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-06 19:43 Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2013-09-06 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I have a LaTeX template I created for use with org-mode, to export to PDF
via LaTeX using xelatex.

I don't edit LaTeX directly, I just generate from org-mode. This works
perfectly for me except for one thing: it only works when I have heading
numbering turned on.

When I turn numbering off in org-mode, by adding this line to my org-mode
file...

...LaTeX no longer recognizes my headings as headings. This creates two
problems:

1. The Table of Contents is blank.
2. The \leftmark in the heading shows up as "Contents" instead of showing
up as the title of the section.

How do I modify these org-mode preferences such that my I can turn heading
numbering off in org-mode while still correctly generating a Table of
Contents and adding my section title to the header?

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about LaTeX to make a minimum
representation of this. I have no idea where the problem is.

Here are the org-mode preferences in question:
http://pastebin.com/62Nugpsg

Thanks!

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-06 20:30 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-09-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar; +Cc: org-mode

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a LaTeX template I created for use with org-mode, to export to PDF
> via LaTeX using xelatex.
>
> I don't edit LaTeX directly, I just generate from org-mode. This works
> perfectly for me except for one thing: it only works when I have heading
> numbering turned on.
>
> When I turn numbering off in org-mode, by adding this line to my org-mode
> file...

> ...LaTeX no longer recognizes my headings as headings. This creates two
> problems:
>
> 1. The Table of Contents is blank.
> 2. The \leftmark in the heading shows up as "Contents" instead of showing up
> as the title of the section.
>
> How do I modify these org-mode preferences such that my I can turn heading
> numbering off in org-mode while still correctly generating a Table of
> Contents and adding my section title to the header?
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about LaTeX to make a minimum
> representation of this. I have no idea where the problem is.

At the very least, can you provide a minimal org file? This is over my
head with xelatex and all that customization, but I think people are
going to at least need:
- minimal emacs config (reproducible version that produces the
problem, not just the latex stuff)
- a .org file that produces the issue you're experiencing (even with
just a couple headlines and the words "blah blah blah" or what have
you as the text

John

@ 2013-09-07 20:21 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2013-09-07 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a LaTeX template I created for use with org-mode, to export to PDF
> via LaTeX using xelatex.
>
> I don't edit LaTeX directly, I just generate from org-mode. This works
> perfectly for me except for one thing: it only works when I have heading
> numbering turned on.
>
> When I turn numbering off in org-mode, by adding this line to my org-mode
> file...

> ...LaTeX no longer recognizes my headings as headings. This creates two
> problems:
>
> 1. The Table of Contents is blank.

This is because, when you set num:nil, Org exports headings to LaTeX
using the \section*{} command, not the usual \section{}.  LaTeX does not
put sections defined with \section* (or \chapter*, \part*, etc.) in the
table of contents.

Thus, if you still want all sections to show up in your table of
contents, you probably don't want to set num:nil.  If you just want
section numbers not to show up in section titles, there's probably a
simple way to do this in LaTeX by redefining a command, but I can't find
it right now; maybe someone else here knows.  Once you know the LaTeX
command, you can set it on Org via

#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{...}

or whatever.

See also: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Document_Structure#Sectioning_commands

> 2. The \leftmark in the heading shows up as "Contents" instead of showing
> up as the title of the section.

I'm not sure about this issue.  I would guess that it's also caused
by using \section* rather than \section, but there's no \leftmark
command in the test document I created.

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-07 20:41   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-09-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have a LaTeX template I created for use with org-mode, to export to PDF
>> via LaTeX using xelatex.
>>
>> I don't edit LaTeX directly, I just generate from org-mode. This works
>> perfectly for me except for one thing: it only works when I have heading
>> numbering turned on.
>>
>> When I turn numbering off in org-mode, by adding this line to my org-mode
>> file...

>> ...LaTeX no longer recognizes my headings as headings. This creates two
>> problems:
>>
>> 1. The Table of Contents is blank.
>
> This is because, when you set num:nil, Org exports headings to LaTeX
> using the \section*{} command, not the usual \section{}.  LaTeX does not
> put sections defined with \section* (or \chapter*, \part*, etc.) in the
> table of contents.
>
> Thus, if you still want all sections to show up in your table of
> contents, you probably don't want to set num:nil.  If you just want
> section numbers not to show up in section titles, there's probably a
> simple way to do this in LaTeX by redefining a command, but I can't find
> it right now; maybe someone else here knows.  Once you know the LaTeX
> command, you can set it on Org via

#+LATEX: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}

Or just

–Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-07 22:51   ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2013-09-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, Richard Lawrence, Rasmus; +Cc: org-mode

Thanks for the responses!

John: Oh yes, of course. Sorry about that. inimal org file and config files
are here. I had to make the org file long enough to make several pages, so
the header displays. Here you go:
https://github.com/petersalazar/org-troubleshooting

Rasmus: #+OPTIONS: num:0 is what I started from. When I do that, the
resulting PDF has no Table of Contents, and the header displays the section
title as "Contents."

The same thing happens with #+LATEX: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}.

Richard: Your idea about
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{...}

sounds very promising! I'd love to know what the exact command is!

I don't need section numbers ever, so my desire is to turn off numbering
forever, but still have an intact Table of Contents and header.

Thanks guys!

@ 2013-09-08  4:05     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-09-08  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the responses!
>
> John: Oh yes, of course. Sorry about that. inimal org file and config files are here. I had to make the org file long enough to make several pages, so the header displays. Here you
> go:
> https://github.com/petersalazar/org-troubleshooting
>
> Rasmus: #+OPTIONS: num:0 is what I started from. When I do that, the resulting PDF has no Table of Contents, and the header displays the section title as "Contents."
>
> The same thing happens with #+LATEX: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}.
>
> Richard: Your idea about
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{...}
>
> sounds very promising! I'd love to know what the exact command is!

The quick-and-dirty solution is

#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesection}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubsubsection}{}

That's enough for the default secnumdepth of 3, but if you make that
bigger, you'll have to make it even dirtier:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\theparagraph}{}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\thesubparagraph}{}

There is probably a cleaner way, but that would require cleverness
and I don't have any right now.

BTW, this turns off section numbers in the TOC as well, not just in the
body of the document.
--
Nick

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-08  4:59       ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2013-09-08  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: org-mode

Thank you! That solution is very promising indeed.

I see why it's quick and dirty though - it appears to be generation section
numbers, but just making the numbers invisible, so that the headings are
not flush with the left margin:
http://i.imgur.com/G6drpmf.png

Is there a solution to that, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks again.

@ 2013-09-08  5:54         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-09-08  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you! That solution is very promising indeed.
>
> I see why it's quick and dirty though - it appears to be generation
> section numbers, but just making the numbers invisible, so that the
> headings are not flush with the left margin:
> http://i.imgur.com/G6drpmf.png
>
> Is there a solution to that, or is that just the way it is?

Here is a cleaner way:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}

--
Nick

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-08  7:43           ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2013-09-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: org-mode

That appears to work perfectly. Thank you so much!

If I have 5 levels of heading, should I do it like this?

#+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{tocdepth}{5}

@ 2013-09-08 11:47             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-09-08 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:

> That appears to work perfectly. Thank you so much!
>
> If I have 5 levels of heading, should I do it like this?
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{tocdepth}{5}

Yes, although IMO the TOC will be too busy with that many levels.
But to each his/her own...
--
Nick

* Re: heading numbering in LaTeX export?
@ 2013-09-08 14:26     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-09-08 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, org-mode, Rasmus

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses!
>
> John: Oh yes, of course. Sorry about that. inimal org file and config files
> are here. I had to make the org file long enough to make several pages, so
> the header displays. Here you go:
> https://github.com/petersalazar/org-troubleshooting

Hi Peter,

Actually, I hadn't understood your issue. I thought you weren't
getting headlines exported at all, as in a blank document, which might
require a bit more delving into. Now I get it and it makes sense. When
I use num:nil but want a TOC, I tend to just add the entries manually:

#+begin_example

* Introduction
\addcontentsline{toc}{subsection}{Introduction}

blah blah blah

* Conclusion
\addcontentsline{toc}{subsection}{Conclusion}

blah blah blah

#+end_example

Perhaps a bit manual, and it looks like you've gotten more automated
answers to use via #+latex_header arguments.

Good luck!
John

@ 2013-09-08 16:58               ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2013-09-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)