Hi, I can take a look at that. Unless Nicolas already is working on it, of course. One additional point is, of course, that org-depend is not part of the core, but was written as a proof of concept. Is anyone besides Karl using it regularly? I don't want to break anything by changing it. Maybe it would, in fact, be better to first look in the local file and then try org-id-find. Carsten On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Karl Voit wrote: > * Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > > Hello, > > Hello Nicolas, > > > Karl Voit writes: > > > >> Function org-depend-block-todo uses org-find-entry-with-id (from > >> org.el) which is using org-find-property which starts with > >> (goto-char (point-min)) not jumping to any other org-mode buffer. > >> > >> Is there a reason behind this design choice? > > > > What design choice? > > ... that org-depend is using the current document only. > > > 1. That `org-find-property' only searches in the current document? > > > > 2. That `org-depend-block-todo' uses `org-find-entry-with-id' instead of > > e.g., `org-id-find'? > > > > Property API assumes properties are local to the document. When you > > search for property "FOO", it means "FOO" in the current buffer, not > > "FOO" is some other random Org file somewhere in your hard-disk. > > Ah, good to know. > > Is there a document, where someone is able to learn those > "meta-patterns" like "Property API assumes properties are local to > the document"? > > > ID property is special for that matter. > > Clearly, when you take a look at "id:example-id". > > > Whenever Org sets such a property, it updates a location database > > (which means ID properties shouldn't be changed "manually"). > > Being curious: since I only set IDs manually (by typing them into > the PROPERTIES drawer by myself), do I have to take care of > "updating some database"? > > > So, ID property can efficiently be used to refer to remote > > documents. > > ... which I find ultimately useful to get a "personal wiki". > > > As a consequence, it may be useful to use `org-id-find' and > > fall-back to `org-find-property' in `org-depend-block-todo'. > > > >> Who is the current maintainer of org-depend.el? Carsten ist > >> listed as author in the header. > > > > I guess nobody. Do you want to take care of it? > > Trust me: with my very limited knowledge of Elisp and Org-mode > internals, you do not want to see a commit from my side that is > something other than a typo fix or documentation. ;-) > > Can you do us the favour? > > Thanks for your insight! > > -- > mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode: > > get Memacs from https://github.com/novoid/Memacs < > > https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on > github > > >