* Feature request: Default table alignment variable
@ 2021-08-23 14:36 Yas
From: Yas @ 2021-08-23 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Pardon my inexperience toward requesting features for gnu software and
sorry if this is not the correct mail for this purpose.

I use orgmode, ox and ox-latex to convert org to LaTeX. Tables in Persian
are especially problematic to make. For Persian (or any Right-To-Left
script) is - obviously - written from right to left and
`org-export-table-cell-alignment' (assuming it's the right function I
found) just assumes that if there is no explicit instruction on how to
align table cells then it is definitely a `left' align (it should be right).

I'd very much appreciate a custom like
`org-export-table-default-cell-alignment' which can be `setq-local'-ed for
that matter. (Or even better, org-table-default-cell-alignment for use with
or without the export module.)

I am not entirely sure if this short message captures the whole idea or
not. Pardon me for my poorly detailed request.

P.S: Maybe I'm just thinking too far at this point but this can even be
bound to "#+LANGUAGE: fa" and set automatically once implemented.

P.P.S: I generally think Abjad (Persian/Arabic) LaTeX exports are a hassle
with org at the current state. I know the workarounds and patches that make
the XeTeX produce proper outputs for Persian and Arabic and most of them
are required on every setup and I think they should be implement in the org
itself. If the team is interested I could also share details and small
macros on that front too but since I'm still noob in LISP and development I
cannot make P/Rs as of yet. At the best, I can answer questions and provide
guides on how to do what if I'm asked.

Sincerely,
Yas