Hi Henry, Thank you for using org-tree-slide and reporting the issue. Please use the following patch to avoid the error. PATCH: Replace the original code with ---- (defun ots-display-tree-with-narrow () "Show a tree with narrowing and also set a header at the head of slide." (goto-char (point-at-bol)) (when (ots-last-heading-position) (hide-subtree) ; support CONTENT (subtrees are shown) (org-show-entry) (show-children) (org-cycle-hide-drawers 'all) (org-narrow-to-subtree)) (setq display-tree-slide-string (if (equal org-tree-slide-modeline-display 'outside) (ots-count-slide (point)) "")) (when org-tree-slide-slide-in-effect (ots-slide-in org-tree-slide-slide-in-brank-lines)) (when org-tree-slide-header (ots-show-slide-header))) ---- This patch is a tentative code for checking behavior in your environments, but I think you will be able to open org files without heading. I'll update it again within a few days. Best, Takaaki 2013/7/15 Nick Dokos > henry atts writes: > > > Carsten Dominik writes: > > > >> On 15.7.2013, at 10:33, henry atts wrote: > >> > >>> I use org-tree-slide-mode by default with > >>> > >>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-tree-slide-mode) > >>> > >>> This works kind of acceptable minus some minor annoyances. But one > thing > >>> makes it nearly unusuable. tree-slide rigidly expects at least one > >>> header. So if I open an org file without heading, or if I create a new > >>> one, I get an error message: > >>> > >>> File mode specification error: (error "before first heading") > >>> > >>> If I include a setup file with `#+SETUPFILE:', which of course has no > >>> headings in it, org-tree-slide stops working at all. > >> > >> > >> Hi Henry, > >> > >> you could wrap turning on of the mode into a function > >> that checks if there is a node, and if not, just add one. > >> > >> - Carsten > > > > Okay, but on the one hand this doesn't solve the problem with > > `SETUPFILE'. On the other hand what if I want an org file without any > > heading on purpose? Or otherwise asked is a file a `real' org file only > > if it has headings in it? > > > > No, I don't think so, but there are bugs (there was a bug in the latex > exporter once that required a heading at the beginning). I presume > Carsten's suggestion was as a workaround to a bug (although I might > have misinterpreted his comment). > > > You might say if you want some features of orgmode _and_ an org file > > without heading you can always use, say, text-mode and load orgstruct as > > a minor mode. Which does not solve the problem as well because with the > > org-tree-mode hook for orgmode it shows some strange behaviour equally. > > > > I like org-tree-mode but I think it does not play well with orgmode in > > some cases. And as far as I see it even is not in contrib. > > > > Yes, I went looking for it there and did not find it :-) So maybe you > can ping the author about the bug - s/he might even fix it, particularly > now that the package is being used by at least one other person! Or > contribute the fix yourself - if you like the package, then others might > too, so it might even end up in contrib at some point. > > -- > Nick > > >