On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 9:27 AM Eric S Fraga wrote: > > On Wednesday, 21 Apr 2021 at 12:55, ian martins wrote: > > 1. A patch looks useful to me, but I feel I don't know if it's a good > > [...] > > > "Thanks for submitting this. I'd use it. Hopefully a maintainer > > will take a look." > > Ian, > > I think you will find that a few of us do post answers like this every > now and again. I know that I do. > I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else never does this. I actually don't do it myself, and on reflection I believe it is for the reasons I listed above (a patch may look helpful but I don't know for sure that it'll be good overall, or it applies to a part of the code that I've not looked at). I thought others might have the same reasons for not responding. The lack of answers to cases 2 & 3 are essentially showing a lack of > interest which is basically an (implicit) answer as well. It may seem > dismissive but, given the volume of email some of us have to deal with > in our day job, it's just reality, I would suggest, without it meaning > to be judgemental in any way. > Lack of interest /is/ an implicit answer. The question is if that is a good way to answer. I agree with Timothy that ignoring newcomers' first attempt at contribution is an effective way to drive people away. Is that worth it in order to reduce email?