On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote: > On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:27:01AM +0200, Johannes Rainer wrote: > > hi all! > > > > I have some pretty calculation intense R code in a code block and when I > > execute the code (C-c C-c) my emacs freezes and waits for the code to > > finish. Is there a way to evaluate the code asynchronously, so that I > could > > edit the file (obviously not the code block itself) while the code is > being > > evaluated? > > Not sure that is a possibility yet. For the moment you could try > asynchronous export as a workaround. > > yes, I will do that. I just realized that I have to set ess-ask-for-ess-directory to nil, otherwise the async export hangs because it tries to ask where to start R. > That said, I am curious why you are knowingly tying a computationally > intensive (possibly buggy, during development i.e.) process with your > editor. I have to work on some fairly computationally intensive > analysis with Python. I always keep them in separate modules and > scripts run from the shell. > > well, I'm using emacs/org for my data analyses in R. I thus combine documentation (i.e. the conclusions drawn from e.g. plots created in R) and the R code to perform the analysis in my org file. Since I'm analysing high throughput data some tasks to handle the data are quite time consuming. cheers, jo > Hope this helps, > > -- > Suvayu > > Open source is the future. It sets us free. > > -- Johannes Rainer, PhD Applied Bioinformatics Group, Division Molecular Pathophysiology, Biocenter, Medical University Innsbruck, Innrain 80/82 II, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria and Tyrolean Cancer Research Institute Innrain 66, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria Tel.: +43 (0)512 9003 70961 Email: johannes.rainer@i-med.ac.at johannes.rainer@tcri.at URL: http://bioinfo.i-med.ac.at