On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM Martin Alsinet wrote: > Hello Nick. First, thank you so much for your detailed answer. > > I'm not sure whether smart quotes can be made smarter, perhaps by >> detecting the problem and inserting the small space \, to resolve the >> ambiguity; but the manual space solution should have worked: what >> version of org are you using? >> >> FWIW, mine is latest master: Org mode version 9.1.2 >> (release_9.1.2-84-geeaf9a @ /home/nick/src/emacs/org/org-mode/lisp/) >> > > I am using Org mode version 8.2.10, I will update my version and try again. > > I updated Org-mode to the last version (9.1.2) from the orgmode.org ELPA sources and the problem went away. Separating the nested quotes with a space does the trick: She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let's go together' " Now the closing quote gets "smarted" in the exported PDF file. Thank you very much Martin